Fairly new to this, just some general ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City, Mo
I was just wondering about a couple of things.
We have baby boxie, born Aug / Sept 2012. We have had it about 4 weeks and it seams to be doing well. Eats good, looks healthy, etc.
We have a pretty nice set up indoors for him complete with a humid warm environment, uv bulb, basking spot, etc. a water dish with daily water soaks where he seams to like it and often goes to the bathroom ;)
Anyway, my questions are just so we can be sure we are doing everything correctly and providing the best possible care for the Lille guy.
It spends most of the time burrowed and has in the last 2 weeks decided the "cave" makes a pretty good hiding space as well. When it is dinner dime he eats well, hangs out for awhile & then goes back to hiding. I am not really concerned with this as I know this is a normal survival instinct and he should be doing this.

Is he getting enough uv while on the cave? Should we be supplementing calcium as well or am I over analyzing?
How much food should he be eating a day?

I appreciate any helpful info.

Torts4Life!

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Everything sounds like your doing a great job! I would dust the food with calcium a couple times a week though! Just my thoughts and congrats on the youngster!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too would give just a small pinch of cal a couple times a week. According to some, a couple hours a week of uv is sufficient. I have a leopard, who very seldom has ever basked under the UVB. However, has always seemed very healthy and happy.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
JenTy7203 said:
I was just wondering about a couple of things.
We have baby boxie, born Aug / Sept 2012. We have had it about 4 weeks and it seams to be doing well. Eats good, looks healthy, etc.
We have a pretty nice set up indoors for him complete with a humid warm environment, uv bulb, basking spot, etc. a water dish with daily water soaks where he seams to like it and often goes to the bathroom ;)
Anyway, my questions are just so we can be sure we are doing everything correctly and providing the best possible care for the Lille guy.
It spends most of the time burrowed and has in the last 2 weeks decided the "cave" makes a pretty good hiding space as well. When it is dinner dime he eats well, hangs out for awhile & then goes back to hiding. I am not really concerned with this as I know this is a normal survival instinct and he should be doing this.

Is he getting enough uv while on the cave? Should we be supplementing calcium as well or am I over analyzing?
How much food should he be eating a day?

I appreciate any helpful info.

You may want to provide some cuttle bone (with the backing removed) in his enclosure and gut load crickets (although how well that translates is debateable) I've never had luck with dusting the food as it cal powder reeks and turns the turts away from the food.. a GREAT calcium source is getting ready to pop up in the yard anyday now dandelion!! if you have a completely pesticide and herbicide free source of dandelion your turtle will love it.. the smaller the leaves the less bitter..

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Yeah, he has no interest in the cattle bone. I have dusted the works a couple of times and he doesn't mind it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.