URI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
My new juvenile hermann's came to me with an URI I just realized this today as I realized he was having heavy breaths and a slight clicking sound every time he breathed. Mom, who is a nurse for neonatal care, thinks it is some type of URI and we have decided to take him to our Herp vet on Monday which is one day away. He's still strong and seems to be doing ok. He's just not eating well or going to the bathroom at all. What can I do to make him more comfortable? I am already doing daily soaks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Are your soaks warm water and last for no less than 30 minutes? Also, what temps are your enclosure set at for hot side and cool dry side?

What species of tortoise? How long have you had the tortoise? How old is the tortoise?

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Yes to 30 minutes, noticed he drank a lot today for the first time. Temp for the basking area is 90-93 degrees, warm area is 80-83 degrees, and cool area is around 71 degrees. My species is a hermann's (I think an Eastern). I've had him for three days. And he's supposedly a year and a half old.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
when my Cooper had a URI, the vet gave him 1 shot, then sent him home with 4 more that he got every other day. Also his temps were to low so I fixed that and he got better and never has had another one since. I would up your temps to start with. Best of luck!

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Should I get a stronger MVB bulb then? I only have a 100 watt right now, if I put the fixture any further down it will be too close for him. >.< I finally got him to eat something just now, by spreading some pureed pumpkin onto some endive and cactus pad, also a tiny bit of fuscia flower.. he didn't seem too impressed with the last one but the other two he chowed down on for long after the pumpkin was gone ^^ he seems to have much more energy now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would bump your basking spot to closer to 100 degrees and I would not let the enclosure temp drop below 80-85 degrees day or night...do you have the high humidity enclosure? If yes, I would back off of that for awhile to see how the tort comes round with the correct temps...

....also, do you cover the top around the light ? This will help to bump the temps so do take care in rechecking the temps if you do cover the top---you can use foil around the top to seal it up mostly (I would not seal all of the top but at least 75 percent of it...

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Ok then, I'll get a CHE for night time then, and get a stronger bulb. How can I dry out the Eco Earth so it would produce less humidity? I bloomed it myself so it's pretty still kind of moist on top.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just take some out, let it dry and then return it to the enclosure :D

So you have only had him now 3 days? He is still so new, so please do not mistake his lack of enthusiasm for a RI....please make sure to get your enclosure basics spot on and then let him settle in---clicking noises do not automatically mean a RI...so clicking and lack of enthusiasm are ok---especially since he is new....stress of the new place and new routine can weigh heavy on a tort...so offer a warm quiet place and allow some warm hide places and allow your tort to settle into a dependable routine....

Remember--they are a slow living creature--so offer some adjustment time :D

I personally think a trip to the vet after only being with you for three days is a lot of stress ....not eating straight away is also normal for a location change ..

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Well his lack of enthusiasm is not the exact reason I am taking him to the vet. He's having very labored breathing to the point of where he's doing push ups. He's pretty strong otherwise. I just don't want it to get so bad that he can't be treated. Like when he's outside Teo acts like a little bulldozer and practically runs (as close to running as a tortoise can get XD) through the grass.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You do know that a tort will move their neck /chin area and front legs as though they are air pumping them while breathing right.. and this is normal...it can be increased when the tort is stressed so it appears more animated...if the tort is not gasping for air...if the tort is not secreting mucus from its mouth...if the torts eyes are not significantly swollen and the tort is clearly not lethargic ...and if the tort then livens up outdoors...then I would not assume a RI,,,

May we see a pic of your torts face? Especially his eyes?

Cymmie

5 Year Member

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
lights aren't on yet so he's not awake, lemme see if he'll wake up for me.

LOL...a tort does take awhile to wake up....a tortoise is a reptile, a reptile can not regulate temp on its own--therefore we must provide a few options for him to do this on his own...cool area that is dry for sleeping or cool down---a temperate area for hanging out and a basking/hot spot so the tort can warm up (kinda like warming up a 67 Ford Mustang--it takes a few minutes in comparison to a new snazzy car)...

You will really want to set up a routine that your tort can get use to and can count on---lights on at day rise, about half and hour to warm up....a while to see what food prospects are available along with hydration--some safe sheltered places to stroll under or in to check out the digs...as he becomes more settled then you will see him venture out more....

You will want to do warm water soaks and make then approach to him slow and obvious--so he sees you coming and is not startled by the pick up....remember, he is of the slow and mellow species...so quick sudden motions will easily startle him...

Cymmie

5 Year Member
I already have a timer on his light so it comes on automatically with my other lights for my lizards, and he gets food about around 45 minutes after he starts walking around more, should I soak him before or after food? He's also becoming less scared around me <3 he tucks in less when I come toward him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is a good looking tort and he has clear looking eyes...especially n the second pic...lol...

I would offer warm water soaks prior to food offering...this allows him some wake up time along with time to warm up which will encourage his appetite....

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Oh thank god XD Then I don't have to worry <3 Thank you so much Ascott you have put my mind at ease <3 I don't know how to thank you correctly but know that I feel so much better after this ^^ Should I keep soaking him daily until he starts eating on his own? I don't think they ever soaked him in the pet store >.< he seems to really enjoy it XD

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Daily warm water soaks are brilliant....most torts seem to appreciate them....so yes, I would continue to offer them at least every other day and if you can do it daily that would be better...

It is always important to watch a tort with a clear eye when they first come to you....this way you will quickly get to know what the normal is for the specific tort...while torts in general have some common traits, no two are the same...so getting to know what is the torts normal in your care can be the difference in catching small changes right off....

Also, since you are new to reptiles, as much reading as possible is always good,..when you read different items, always look at who wrote the information, when it was written and how it is practical to your torts life....in other words, be as objective as you can. Also, ask as many questions as you have and present the same question to a variety of keepers so you have a pool of information to customize your own basis for effective care...

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Then I will continue with the warm water soaks, my clover is finally growing so he will have that inside his enclosure, and I finally have started building his outside enclosure. I am super excited. Now is the perfect time to let him outside for a while too, because it is super warm and he can bask. I hope he enjoys it. Anyway thank you I will remember what you have told me ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.