Redfoots Eyes are swollen shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexisd

5 Year Member
Hello,
I have noticed that when my redfoot wakes up his eyes remain shut for about 15 min to an hour. They appear a bit swollen but no goop or puss or anything that would make me believe he has an infection. They do eventually open on their own, but usually I give him a bath and they always open right away when I drizzle water over him. Humidity is pritty high his pen and I give him a bath about twice a week. Is this normal for a 6 month old to take a bit to open his eyes? Is there anything else I can do to help him? ~Alexis

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
When you say humidity is " pretty high" ..... just how high ?
How moist is the substrate ?....Are the eyes swollen shut then when open appear " tear eyed" >? Any onset of wheezing or , bubbles , gasping?

Alexisd

5 Year Member
Humidity remains between 65% and 73%. The substrate is cocunut coir and moss, it is starting to dry a bit so I went to the store on lunch break and am changing out the substrate tonight when I get home. Could that be the problem? No sign of tears, wheezing, bubbly nose or eyes, nothing like that. Thanks for the quick response, im really worried this will progress into something worse.
~Alexis

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you using a coil bulb? If so, get rid of it and go with the tube UVB fluorescent bulbs. Also, you don't really need to change the substrate, just keep it moist. To help keep in humidity, cover 1/2 to 3/4 of the top.

Sorry, forgot to explain. The coil bulbs are known to cause eye problems in torts and other reptiles.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Are your temps warm enough? You don't want it chilly with high humidity. Once you answer all the questions someone will chime in and help you.

Alexisd

5 Year Member
Ohhhh, I am using a coil bulb.... I will look into different lighting. Any recommendations? ~ Ive been keeping the temps about 90's on the warm side of his pen and low 70's on the cool side. Is that about right?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Could be a combination of both. Or just the bulb. Seems to me, correct me JD they need at least 80% humidity. The water on the eyes gave it away for me..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get rid of the bulb. A fluorescent UVB tube kind. You could also get a mercury vapor bulb, but I don't think RF like bright light and the mercury I think is too strong for them. I would get rid of the coil bulb even if you don't have another one to replace it. They can go a couple days without UVB.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Get rid of the bulb, up the humidity as much as you can...Humidity levels in S.A (in the regions they live) is anywhere from 90-100%, while more commonly above 95...Keep in mind ground humidity in the wetter regions they inhabit are higher then other regions of the air...so you really can't get the humidity to high for these guys. I would definitely guess humidity is part of your problem, but the coil bulb would be a major contributor...Fix both and you'll be fine :).

Alexisd

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone :D I will start here and give an update in a week or so. Hope this helps!!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yuppers .... that is a perfect and the heat should be 70 low end to 80's . One trick to keep moisture in and works great with young /Jr. torts. Add some "Green Moss" to your enclosure , and I mean a big arm full chunk. Soak it first then let water drain , fashion a mini cave or cover your existing , they will love it !.....They very much love to bury themselves s in it , and most of all it keeps humidity way up without a water soaked substrate , that could lead to other health problems ie: Shell rots/fungus

JD~

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
RedfootsRule said:
Get rid of the bulb, up the humidity as much as you can...Humidity levels in S.A (in the regions they live) is anywhere from 90-100%, while more commonly above 95...Keep in mind ground humidity in the wetter regions they inhabit are higher then other regions of the air...so you really can't get the humidity to high for these guys. I would definitely guess humidity is part of your problem, but the coil bulb would be a major contributor...Fix both and you'll be fine :).
Do bear in mind that it is not constantly that. It does often get down to about 60-65 sometimes. However, usually(of course, depending on where they live as the Southern variety I believe have less humidty due to a higher altitude?) it is over 70%+. I think in captivity as long as it doesn't drop below 70 in captivity it's fine.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
FLINTUS said:
RedfootsRule said:
Do bear in mind that it is not constantly that. It does often get down to about 60-65 sometimes. However, usually(of course, depending on where they live as the Southern variety I believe have less humidty due to a higher altitude?) it is over 70%+. I think in captivity as long as it doesn't drop below 70 in captivity it's fine.

Personally, I consider under 80% unacceptable. The areas you speak of that get down to 60-70 are the southern regions. The natural range of red foots is the northern region of S.A, and seems to stop mostly before the "tail" of south america. It goes from close to the west coast all the way to the east coast...The humidity in these regions rarely drops below 80%, and the times it does is only for shortly.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
RedfootsRule said:
FLINTUS said:
RedfootsRule said:

Personally, I consider under 80% unacceptable. The areas you speak of that get down to 60-70 are the southern regions. The natural range of red foots is the northern region of S.A, and seems to stop mostly before the "tail" of south america. It goes from close to the west coast all the way to the east coast...The humidity in these regions rarely drops below 80%, and the times it does is only for shortly.
True, but I personally feel 70%+ is OK IMO. I did post a link to a Manaus weather forecast a few weeks back if you fancy digging it out in my posts. I know it is a city but it is a true rainforest city compared to the rainforest edges where red foots often live.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
AlexisD, did you burn in the coil bulb before using it in your enclosure? These bulbs come with directions to burn them in for a set number of hours before exposing pets to them. Properly burned in bulbs should pose no danger to eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.