Baby redfoot acting weird.

crab king

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
I had my baby redfoot tortoise for 4 months now. he's been fine, but he started sleeping all day about two days ago. He always wakes up in the morning to eat and I soak him. I woke him up today and he started to shake his head and bite. When I soaked him, he still acted weird. He didn't seem to eat his food, and when he stopped, he looked like he had no energy. Now his eyes are small and he is opening his mouth constantly. He is not moving or sleeping. Please help.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. What is the warm and cool side temperature? Red foots become inactive when temperatures levels are above 90F. 82-88F is usually a good range to fall under.
2. How high is the humidity level?

Opening mouths can possibly be an issue of respiratory infection or nose blockage. Monitor and check for symptoms. A visit to an experienced exotics pet may be warranted.

crab king

South Korea
Thank you for replying.
The warm side temp is 84f and the cool side is 76f. The humidity is 80%to 85%.
He opens his mouth every few seconds, but now he's asleep.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you for replying.

Keep the entire enclosure above 80F day and night. Try to raise the warm to at least 86-88F.

Did you upgrade to a new enclosure or are you still using the white one with the hanging lamp fixtures? Are you using a ceramic heat emitter to get overnight heating or are you still using a bulb?

As I've mentioned in your previous post, the lamp fixture setup isn't very ideal for Red foots. A strip UVB fixture and a ceramic heat emitter combo would work best.

crab king

South Korea
I'm using a ceramic heater with no light, I changed the uvb bulb upside down so that the bulb faces the ceiling.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sounds like your tortoise has a respiratory infection. It might be a good idea to take him to a good tortoise vet.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you for replying.
The cool side is too cold with high humidity. It’s like you standing outside on a cold day in rain. You’ll get cold.
Raise temps to mid 80’s throughout the enclosure. Don’t let water cool when soaking. Best to soak him in a tub within your enclosure to stop water cooling.
Maybe a trip to the vet is needed.