eye question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
I recently noticed that my star today seemed like one of his eyes was not opening as fast as the other. This happened today, as i soak him everyday. He doesnt have a runny nose, isnt lethargic at all, eats with no problem, and he has a constant 100 watt heat bulb over his hide 24/7. on the other side his powersun bulb is on for 12 hours, keeping that side around 85-95 degrees. his hide is around 80-85 degrees all day and night. i really dont know if its something serious, or what it could be. should i be worried? what i plan i doing is continue the soakings as i usually do for him, and i guess if it doesnt seem better i will take him to the vet. i find it wierd as only one eye is acting wierd. let me know what people think, just a minute a go i went to go pick him up and check on him and he had his eye fully opened, but it looked a little watery. possibly too dry? im probably making a mountain outta a molehill, but i love my star.
-joby

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What is the humidity in the enclosure? Do you have a "humid hide"?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah, i have tupperware container with moss in it that i moisten daily. it seemed like a humidity issue. i had checked on him 20 minutes ago and i picked him up and he was sleeping and as i picked him up his eyes both opened up with no problem, but his right did look like it was a little teary, as i know with redfoots if humidity isnt enough they also look like that.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Joby, sounds like your lil one is fine …and your keeping a good “eye”
on him . ( no pun intended ):p
I would like to add ( and I see it ALOT on here ) … regarding “ constant soaking” is to not contaminate the eye by using tap water. Since tap water can contain numerous chemicals, it may not be particularly helpful to an irritated pair of eyes. Also, any good bacteria that lives within the eye is constantly “washed out” and the eyes having to start the natural build up once again.
In theory the eye actually is made up of several components , and when seeing ill health issues could be several factors. The two I find common within our shelled friends could be outlined something like this .

Orbital cellulitis is an infection of the eye and the orbit, the underlying structure in the eye socket which supports the eye. A closely related conditions, periorbital cellulitis, involves the tissue around the eye, including the eyelid.

Dacryocystitis is an infection of the lacrimal sac, the small pouch next to the eye which produces tears. Normally, the tears flow out of the lacrimal sac and across the eye to lubricate it, and then drain through the nasolacrimal ducts. In specimens with dacryocystitis, the ducts become inflamed, reducing tear production and leading to an assortment of symptoms. Aka “ dry eye “

Happy TORT~N
JD~:)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
haha JD great post, as i used distilled water when soaking my star. i really think that he got dust or some moss particals in his eye as today this morning at 7am when his powersun light came on he came out and both eyes were wide open. i am still going to keep an eye on him (haha) reguardless for the next couple of days. if it persists, should i go to the vet or give him i believe its called tobermycin?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Joby .. great news on the little one ! .... here is the name of the eye med I belive your refering to .
TERRAMYCIN®
oxytetracycline

It does work well ... and rememeber to use 2 different " sterile " Q tips when applying both eyes .

JD~ :)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah it is JD, is there a place online i can buy it or in the stores?

ive seen it on lll reptile and such, but could i go out to the store to buy it or online the place to do it? i also saw amazon had it

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i just bought a tube of the ointment from lllreptiles for 25$. he is still having a issue with that eye, so im going to nip it in the bud before it devlops into anything worse. thanks for the help guys!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i checked tylers site after i bought it from lllreptiles. the thing that worrys me is it takes 5-8 days now to get here with lllreptiles and i kinda wanted it now.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jobeanator said:
yeah it is JD, is there a place online i can buy it or in the stores?

ive seen it on lll reptile and such, but could i go out to the store to buy it or online the place to do it? i also saw amazon had it

Joby ... sounds like you have a handle on things, and yes I have a connection for any meds you might need, just give me shout when needed.

JD~ :)

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Thanks JD, i appreciate it and same goes to you if you ever need anything i can help you with or need from me. i placed a order for the TERRAMYCIN at lll reptile. It should be here soon im hoping, i had recently talked to the doctor on here who also has been awesome and he reccomended artificial tear ointment that could clear it up. everyday ive been soaking and dabbing his eye with warm distilled water on the eye that is having issues, and immediatley after barely touching it he opens it up so i dont think its not too serious with my star

Status
Not open for further replies.