Eye problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston17

5 Year Member
Hi There,

I am new to the forum. I just recently bought my first Russian Tortoise, Winston :) I have had him for 3 weeks now. He seems to be having problems with his left eye. He can still open it slightly but he seems to be having a hard time opening it all the way. This has been going on for a couple of days. Does anyone know what this might be, Should I take him in to the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Winston17:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

What kind of light do you use?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Hi and welcome,

Try giving warm soaks and get some Terramicine eye ointment, its a miracle worker!

He could just have a scratch from something going in his eye or it could be an infection, either way the ointment will do both.

Winston17

5 Year Member
My name is Ashley and I live in Alberta. I use a UVB bulb and I also have a heat lamp. How long should a warm soak take?! And how warm should the water be?! Also where can I pick up the terramicine eye ointment? Thanks for the info everyone :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
don't know if anyone contacted you but if your UVB bulb is a coil type and not a long straight single tube type you may want to get rid of it.

Winston17

5 Year Member
I do have a bulb. What is the difference between the coil bulb an the tube?! Thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

The coil bulb causes blindness in reptiles, so if yours is a coil please get rid of it. I can tell you from personal experience that they do cause blindness in tortoises, it's not just gossip.

You can get terramycin eye ointment on line or at most feed stores...

Winston17

5 Year Member
Thanks so much. I will be getting rid of the coil bulb tonight as soon as I get home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.