Eye problem need help

Big Mac

For about 4 days my Russian tortoise has been keeping his left eye closed he has been eating and active but still keeping only left eye closed I have soaked him and rinsed his eye still nothing humidity and temp are good and using a Mercury vapor bulb

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
For about 4 days my Russian tortoise has been keeping his left eye closed he has been eating and active but still keeping only left eye closed I have soaked him and rinsed his eye still nothing humidity and temp are good and using a Mercury vapor bulb

If all set up and space on track perhaps a superficial injury. Does he open it at all? I would continue gentle eye flush with small squeeze bottle and keep track of any progress or the opposite.

Big Mac

If all set up and space on track perhaps a superficial injury. Does he open it at all? I would continue gentle eye flush with small squeeze bottle and keep track of any progress or the opposite.
He occasionally he opens it but not often his set up is fine and he is acting fine

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He's alone he's on a mix of cocoa fiber and reptile bark

With the bark I would suspect whilst digging into the substrate he injured his eyeball..again, this is based on what you are sharing...are you able to share a pic of his face showing both eyes?

Big Mac

This is his bad eye open which is rare but it is

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 29

Big Mac

With the bark I would suspect whilst digging into the substrate he injured his eyeball..again, this is based on what you are sharing...are you able to share a pic of his face showing both eyes?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just a update his eye opener for a few days but now both have closed up his left opening only occasionally and idea? I give him baby food soaks ( started yesterday and increased humidity

I just took a look at the pic you posted and I am not so sure there is just an eye issue going on..I went and read your other thread and I see you have koved him to a large enclosure? How are your over all temps? What is the substrate in the new enclosure? What is the heating and lighting? What is he actually eating now? How long have yiu had the tortoise? Where did you get the tortoise from? What size is the tortoise?

Big Mac

The tortoise is roughly 5 inches long he was bought from a small reptile store I buy all my animals from he was spring mix I just noticed the my thermometer was very messed up and his temp in the basking spot dropped to about 80 degrees could it be a ri . His substrate is coco and reptile wood chipping I have had the tort for a few months

Big Mac

I just took a look at the pic you posted and I am not so sure there is just an eye issue going on..I went and read your other thread and I see you have koved him to a large enclosure? How are your over all temps? What is the substrate in the new enclosure? What is the heating and lighting? What is he actually eating now? How long have yiu had the tortoise? Where did you get the tortoise from? What size is the tortoise?
Does that help

Big Mac

Just bumped the heat up and what do u know his eyes are opened im so relieve I will be taking him to the vet in 2 days should I have him get injections or stay away from them in your opinion

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just bumped the heat up and what do u know his eyes are opened im so relieve I will be taking him to the vet in 2 days should I have him get injections or stay away from them in your opinion

Okay open eyes are a good thing..so when you say his temps were all messed up does that mean the entire enclosure has been cool to likely cold? Was the enclosure kept moist by added water to the entire substrate during that time?

Big Mac

His basking temp was to cold that's all his eyes have closed again and I'm every very worried they aren't getting any better

Big Mac

Okay open eyes are a good thing..so when you say his temps were all messed up does that mean the entire enclosure has been cool to likely cold? Was the enclosure kept moist by added water to the entire substrate during that time?
Still no improvement

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Flush out the eye with sterile saline solution. You can use the stuff sold in the pharmacy for contact lenses. Then after the flush, use one of these products:

eye ointment.jpg

eye ointment a.jpg

This first can be bought online or at a pet store, and the second from your vet or at a feed store.