Eye infection? Not eating? Help!

McKay Higginbotham

I just got my baby Sulcata tortoise yesterday, and I haven't seen her eat yet. She has "pooped" (for lack of a better word - sorry!) .. But it worries me that I haven't seen her eating as much as sulcatas are supposed to - based on what I've read. She is also sleeping a lot... Is that normal for a baby? And she is also itching her eyes a good bit. Should I worry about this already, even though it's the second day I've had her? I read that babies may not eat for a few days after they are shipped a long distance - or that they may not eat until they are comfortable in their surroundings. Anything I should be concerned about?

McKay

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
what type of bulb are you using? And what are your temperatures?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't panic. Torts take long to adapt to a new place, environment,weather, home, owner and the rest. We all began from zero. ;)

Is your tort's enclosure warm enough? Whereabouts do you live? Torts tend to lose appetite in Winter.:tort: Please post pics of her as well as the enclosure asap, so as to enable us to help you more.

You could also read the "Beginners Mistake" Thread and he different care sheets.:) And ask ANY question when in doubt.

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

McKay Higginbotham

Thank you for calming me down! Here is a picture of her habitat. She has a humid hide spot, another hide spot, both where she can burrow into some Cyprus mulch, a water tray and feeding tray.. Just the basics.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
It looks quite dry in there. She needs a humid environment and a proper water dish so she can sit in water to rehydrate if needed. Terra cotta plant saucers work well, since the bottom has more grip than a plastic lid.

What are you high and low temperatures?

Is she actually using that hide?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your 100 watt UVB bulb gives off heat there's no need for the basking bulb, and having both bulbs there in the same place makes it much to bright/hot in that spot. Exchange that double bulb fixture for two single fixtures and place one of them on the other end of the habitat. The two lights in the same spot might be aggravating his eyes.

McKay Higginbotham

It looks quite dry in there. She needs a humid environment and a proper water dish so she can sit in water to rehydrate if needed. Terra cotta plant saucers work well, since the bottom has more grip than a plastic lid.

What are you high and low temperatures?

Is she actually using that hide?

Yes she uses the hide, and I make sure she is in there before she falls asleep. I have a 100 watt UVB and a 50 watt basking bulb!

McKay Higginbotham

If your 100 watt UVB bulb gives off heat there's no need for the basking bulb, and having both bulbs there in the same place makes it much to bright/hot in that spot. Exchange that double bulb fixture for two single fixtures and place one of them on the other end of the habitat. The two lights in the same spot might be aggravating his eyes.

Thank you so much for this! I will change the fixtures asap.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are the temperatures in there? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low? What are you using for night heat?