EXTREMELY SMALL 4 YEAR OLD SULCATA CRAIGSLIST :'(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What a jerk. It doesn't cost much cause he isn't feeding it enough. Look how skinny the front legs look. Someone needs to email this jerk and give him a few tips and make one of them, not selling the tank as the torts home. I will email him, but I don't know if they get through anymore since I have had problems with apples updates:mad:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how big a healthy sulcata would be at 4 years, but my guess is it probably wouldn't fit in that 20 gallon aquarium anymore.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Man I wish that Midlothian was in the UK because Id be up there like lightening for this little guy. There really is no excuse. There is an abundance of info out there on tortoise care if you just look. I'd never had a tort before, she was unexpectedly brought to me in a card box with a cauliflower leaf in it. From that second I have studied all I can find on Hermanns care and I can honestly say it's been a pleasure. And the fantastic people here have helped me so much too. It makes me so sad that such beautiful creatures are so easily gotten and subjected to accidental or deliberate cruelty through ignorance or just plain damn laziness.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Why do people do this? Are they really that stupid and lazy or is it malicious neglect? Poor thing. I wish I had room and weather to keep Sulcatas. My local pet store has 4 adults that were given to them. They are so sad in their tiny enclosures.

Steve in CT

Connecticut
Greetings to all,

I am new here to the forum but I am not new to keeping Tortoises. I have been sharing my life with tortoises for more than 20 years and have offered sanctuary to many unwanted torts over the years. Currently I have 4 sulcatas, 1 greek, 1 hermanns, and 5 russians and my herd continues to grow.

Some of the tortoises I have taken in were in far worse shape than the one in the picture. I have had some with excessive pyramiding, severe underbites, overbites, respiratory infections, and parasites. never, ever have I verbally beat anyone up because of the condition of the tortoise. Here is my reason and something some of you may wish to consider.

If I had a tortoise and he was not in perfect shape, I would not want to offer him for adoption, or ask for help here after reading some of the comments posted on this forum. I have at least 3 tortoises that others rescued because the owners were going to release them into the wild here in CT, they would have certainly perished.

I just took in a greek with a severe underbite and a less than desirable shell, the owner had him for ten years in a glass tank and as wrong as that all is, he really did love the little guy. What would I gain by reprimanding him. I do not want people thinking they are going to get beat up if their tortoise is not perfect and to avoid the embarrassment they release them to face the elements.

I remember an old movie "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" the deformed little hunchback man cries out " I want Sanctuary".

I don't criticize, I don't Rescue, I don't judge,
" I offer Sanctuary"

My Best Regards To All and Happy Holidays
Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Steve: We're safe here in speaking our minds because we know that most of the people who put up their animals on craigslist are ignorant of the animal's care, and probably don't read any forums to learn about them. We're family here. There's no way any of us would be saying these things to the person selling the tortoise. Occasionally one of us will try to contact the seller, but we do it in a kind and gentle manner. We don't point fingers, we try to educate. We feel comfortable talking this way to each other, but we certainly would not talk this way to the seller.

Last edited: