Exporting tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensal

5 Year Member
Hi, i am new to this forum and have some question about exporting tortoises.

since that i will be going back to my country in 6 months, i would like to bring all of my tortoises and wondering how do i do it. my home country is in indonesia.

i know that we need export permit for those tortoises even-though that they are personal pet but, my question is do i need an import permit. my tortoises are sulcatas,leopard, indian stars, black burmese, elongated, redfoot. all of them are in appendix 2 except for the indian star i believe. i have read some book saying that if it's in the appendix 2 you won't need an import permit.

my last question is, is there any maximum number for a tortoises that you can bring back to your country?

thank you

stephen

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Stephan, welcome to the forum :)

I think I already answered your questions here http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64912&hl=

All your tortoises are appendix II, even the star. I'm pretty sure Indonesia is a member of CITES and as a member will require an import permit for appendix II and I animals.

I'm not sure of the laws in Indonesia when it comes to importing tortoises or numbers.

Have you gotten in touch with the office I gave you contact information for? and if you did what did they say?

Danny

pensal

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Hi Stephan, welcome to the forum :)

I think I already answered your questions here http://www.turtletimes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64912&hl=

All your tortoises are appendix II, even the star. I'm pretty sure Indonesia is a member of CITES and as a member will require an import permit for appendix II and I animals.

I'm not sure of the laws in Indonesia when it comes to importing tortoises or numbers.

Have you gotten in touch with the office I gave you contact information for? and if you did what did they say?

Danny
yeah i remembered that you gave me the email address and the contact information and i did try to call them but have not received any answer and it has been a month or more than. i have been researching a lot about the law about exporting to indonesia and it makes me more confused and paranoid. it's really hard to contact the department agriculture of indonesia since the email does not work, and the website has not been updated regularly. i have been reading some paper saying that the maximum number of exporting tortoises to indonesia is 2 and i read the leopard tortoise book they said that exporting tortoises on appendix two does not need an import permit. so right now i am trying to find as much as information that i could find. btw, i tried to call the indonesian government but the connection is really hard and they cannot understand me at all. the connection has 2 seconds delay, which mean that if i say hello, the receiver will heard it after 2-3 seconds after i said it. and it made them frustrated :(

sorry danny, does not mean that your answer on the turtle times is not useful, i was just too paranoid if i won;t be able to bring all my tortoises to indonesia since i love them already so i am trying to find as much as information that i could find. i aso tried to browsing into some indonesia forum but the same problem that happened to me also happened in that forum. that forum has not been updated for about 2 years and many people are asking the same question like me but they have not find the answer yet.

stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.