Experiment # 4 addition

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I had several questions PM'ed to me this afternoon. Yes, I am weighing them every Monday. I have it all written down in a ledger and I am keeping close track of them...look at how fat this guy looks, yet he is the smallest at 50 grams...

1z4uzpt.jpg

he is number 2 on the daredevil list...
he actually fell off the scale while I was trying to get a better close up...
xm04s2.jpg

he fell off and boinked onto the table on his back and I grabbed him as he was about to bounce onto the floor. I am always so confident that they will not fall off but they do...

This is were they stay in the day time. It's 10'x6' and is planted with Sulcata Seed mix and different lettuces and plain ole weeds and grass...there is a lot of graze here for them but I also feed them a breakfast and a dinner every day...
2dvpkpx.jpg

Yes I am soaking them every other day. They are still afraid of the water but I am trying to get them used to it...
The other 2 will stay put, but little Bobby is very hard to make him hold still...
2zqc40o.jpg

I find it interesting that they are not the least afraid of that big grazing place even when the snake came to visit. But they are all afraid of the water...
34q9s80.jpg

Well, I guess that answers the questions I got earlier. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.
These babies are being raised using my 4 ways of keeping, or actually my sister's way and I say that every time. I learned how to raise smooth healthy Sulcata babies from my sister using her 4 ways, which forever now will become my 4 ways
1. A good and varied diet 2. strong UVB 3. lots of exercise and 4. humidity...they will grow to be smooth unpyramided healthy adults...

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is Andy 8 1/2 months old 280 grams raised exactly like that! :)

I didn't get him until he was almost 3 months old from the pet store.

photobucket-5914-1309295924186.jpg

His humidity was normally always fluctuating between 50-60% depending on how often I got in there. Not until recently have I been able to get it to 70% consistenly because of the reptifogger. But for the most part I think he looks good! He's had a good varied diet (including mazuri) plenty of exercise, mVb and sunshine.

Unfortunately, I never took down his weights but I did post them occassionally when I posted pictures. I'm sure yours will come out just fine ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

FernandoM said:

His humidity was normally always fluctuating between 50-60% depending on how often I got in there. Not until recently have I been able to get it to 70% consistenly because of the reptifogger. But for the most part I think he looks good! He's had a good varied diet (including mazuri) plenty of exercise, mVb and sunshine.

Unfortunately, I never took down his weights but I did post them occassionally when I posted pictures. I'm sure yours will come out just fine ;)

He looks smooth and beautiful...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Teehee little Bobby...
They are so adorable :D I am sure they will all grow up to be as beautiful as Andy ;)

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:

+1 looks great !

maggie3fan said:
I had several questions PM'ed to me this afternoon. Yes, I am weighing them every Monday. I have it all written down in a ledger and I am keeping close track of them...look at how fat this guy looks, yet he is the smallest at 50 grams...

1z4uzpt.jpg

he is number 2 on the daredevil list...
he actually fell off the scale while I was trying to get a better close up...
xm04s2.jpg

he fell off and boinked onto the table on his back and I grabbed him as he was about to bounce onto the floor. I am always so confident that they will not fall off but they do...

This is were they stay in the day time. It's 10'x6' and is planted with Sulcata Seed mix and different lettuces and plain ole weeds and grass...there is a lot of graze here for them but I also feed them a breakfast and a dinner every day...
2dvpkpx.jpg

Yes I am soaking them every other day. They are still afraid of the water but I am trying to get them used to it...
The other 2 will stay put, but little Bobby is very hard to make him hold still...
2zqc40o.jpg

I find it interesting that they are not the least afraid of that big grazing place even when the snake came to visit. But they are all afraid of the water...
34q9s80.jpg

Well, I guess that answers the questions I got earlier. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.
These babies are being raised using my 4 ways of keeping, or actually my sister's way and I say that every time. I learned how to raise smooth healthy Sulcata babies from my sister using her 4 ways, which forever now will become my 4 ways
1. A good and varied diet 2. strong UVB 3. lots of exercise and 4. humidity...they will grow to be smooth unpyramided healthy adults...

i <3 this ! may i ask, how long did it take for all that sulcata seed to grow to that size ?

everything looks great an i feel ya on the whole tortoises falling off of high places feelings, i too am also confdient that einstein won't be a daredevil but sometimes .... he surprises. haha great catch by the way ! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I LOVE your pics Maggie. But admittedly, I am biased.

Andy looks great Fern.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice though to be honest and not meant to be insulting you might have to explain what a ledger is to the younger members :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
FernandoM said:

I think your wrong! You said, "I think he looks good!". Well I disagree. I think he looks great! Love the coloring too. :cool: :D :tort:

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jacqui said:
FernandoM said:

I think your wrong! You said, "I think he looks good!". Well I disagree. I think he looks great! Love the coloring too. :cool: :D :tort:

Thanks Jacqui :D

I got Andy/Andi during the winter time so he was kept in for the first few months. I noticed that the more I took him outside, as the weather got warmer, he started lightening up on the new growth area. Not sure if you can see clearly in that photo but the new growth seems lighter to me.

M

Maggie Cummings

ADVANceNA said:
i <3 this ! may i ask, how long did it take for all that sulcata seed to grow to that size ?

everything looks great an i feel ya on the whole tortoises falling off of high places feelings, i too am also confdient that einstein won't be a daredevil but sometimes .... he surprises. haha great catch by the way ! :D

That's mostly old growth you're looking at. It started coming up in about a week....

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Very Interesting. I wonder what the growth difference will be.

M

Maggie Cummings

I'm sorry John, I don't understand what you mean. You can't see the new growth in the picture because right now it is hidden by the older growth. I planted Sulcata seeds 4 or 5 different times. What I am calling Sulcata seeds is actually a grazing tortoise seed mixture of Crimson Clover, Red Clover, Creeping Red Fescue, Turnip Greens, Fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, Nasturtium, Chicory (Cichorium intybus),California poppy, Plantain (Plantago major), Chia, Timothy seeds and bluegrass seeds all programed to grow at different rates. That plot there has been planted for quite some time and has raised several different tortoises on it.
Frankly I am very surprised you are interested in any of my threads.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.