Three week olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeside, California
Hello I just adopted two three week old Sulcata's and have a few questions.
1. One's she'll is peeling a little bit is this normal?
2. I have read several books and links and am confused. Should they be kept at 95 degrees basking spot or 85 with the other part of the tank being at 75.
3. Humidity? Yes or no. I have read both ways and totally confused.

This is what I am doing so far. We have had the 4 days
They spend 1 hour outside in a box with me watching them every day.
A 20 gallon aquarium with coco bark bedding, T. rex UVB light and ceramic heater bulb.
One Is eating very well but Taz seems to be finicky he tries for the romain lettuce and if he does not get it gives up. He has eaten about 5 pieces today and maybe 3 yesterday. My other, not named yet, just eats and eats.

I give them romain chopped small
We live on 1.1 acres and plan on letting them have use of most of it. We have a few Avacodo trees so those I understand will need to be fenced off.
Thank you for any help and ? Answered.
Sally

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 62

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sally, and welcome to the Forum!

Please take a close look at your babies' eyes. The picture makes it look like one of them might be sick. He also looks like he may be trying to breathe through his mouth and not his nose. This may signify a respiratory infection. I'm betting that the one closest to the camera is Taz, and I'd bet he's sick.

Normally tortoises' shells don't peel. Their skin does, but not the shell.

Directly under the light it should be about 100F, fading to 80-85 on one end and around 75-80 on the other end. This is for babies. The temp would be different for older tortoises.

In order for baby sulcatas to grow smoothly they require a humid environment. I just pour some water over the substrate and when its dry pour it again. You can also provide some moist sphagnum moss inside their hiding place. Don't let them get cold while they are wet.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree. You may have 2 sick babies on your hands. Below my signature there are threads that I recommend you read. I also since they are sick you bump the temps up 5* and warm soaks 2x's a day

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Should I take them to the vet? I will take a new picture today that was the one we took right when we got them home. Taz is in the back ground. So the first one you see is the one that is eating and acting fine. I will change out the ceramic bulb in there encloser to the large one and get the temp up to 95. Thank you for your quick responses

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Here are two new photos of the munchkins. I hope it shows them better. Let me know if they look healthier.
[attachment=32559[quote='L82lalaland']
Hello I just adopted two three week old Sulcata's and have a few questions.
1. One's she'll is peeling a little bit is this normal?
2. I have read several books and links and am confused. Should they be kept at 95 degrees basking spot or 85 with the other part of the tank being at 75.
3. Humidity? Yes or no. I have read both ways and totally confused.

This is what I am doing so far. We have had the 4 days
They spend 1 hour outside in a box with me watching them every day.
A 20 gallon aquarium with coco bark bedding, T. rex UVB light and ceramic heater bulb.
One Is eating very well but Taz seems to be finicky he tries for the romain lettuce and if he does not get it gives up. He has eaten about 5 pieces today and maybe 3 yesterday. My other, not named yet, just eats and eats.

I give them romain chopped small
We live on 1.1 acres and plan on letting them have use of most of it. We have a few Avacodo trees so those I understand will need to be fenced off.
Thank you for any help and ? Answered.
Sally
[/quote]
L82lalaland said:
Should I take them to the vet? I will take a new picture today that was the one we took right when we got them home. Taz is in the back ground. So the first one you see is the one that is eating and acting fine. I will change out the ceramic bulb in there encloser to the large one and get the temp up to 95. Thank you for your quick responses

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 39
Status
Not open for further replies.