Exo Terra Coil Bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danika

5 Year Member
So this was bought today for my Box Turtle and I've read about blindness/eye problems from coil bulbs and I'm not sure if it would be safe? I've read that some coil bulbs could be okay and would it make a difference based on the position it would be in? It would be facing sideways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379027251024.jpg
    1379027251024.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 50

mikeh

5 Year Member
I believe compact fluorescent should be only faced down.
Its a poor choice, I would return it and get MVB or long tube. Why take a risk to save few $.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
We don't know exactly what the problem is or why it only happens sometimes, but there is obviously some problem some of the time. That being the case, I recommend they not be used at all, until someone can definitively say exactly what the problem is and how to avoid it.

Danika

5 Year Member
Alright, thanks. The only problem is that the pet stores close to us (which is out of town already) sells ONLY coil bulbs. I'll probably have to order online.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you do return it, why not give them a little friendly education and tell them that people are still havin problems with those kind of bulbs. It would be better if they could carry the better, safer bulbs and you wouldn't have to order them on line. Maybe, they will stop selling them and start selling the safer ones:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wellington said:
When you do return it, why not give them a little friendly education and tell them that people are still havin problems with those kind of bulbs. It would be better if they could carry the better, safer bulbs and you wouldn't have to order them on line. Maybe, they will stop selling them and start selling the safer ones:)

This is a good idea.

Just be prepared, Danika, for them to tell you that the bulbs are perfectly fine and those Internet people have no idea what they are talking about. They might also admit that the bulbs had some problems early on, but that everything is okay now. That is apparently what the manufacturers have told them. It is not true. We are still seeing problems with them to this day.

I worked retail pet for 8 years and wholesale for one. I know how it is...

Danika

5 Year Member
Of course I'll try and tell them, but they'll never listen. Hopefully one day all the lightbulb issues can just go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.