Excess little flies in Hermann's enclosure

tortsofsorts

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I'm currently keeping my sub-adult male Hermann's in a wooden indoor enclosure. It's laid down with fine bark bedding for him to dig through, with some pieces of decorative wood jutting out from the floor.

I keep his feeding dish full all the time. There's always veggies and grass in there. This didn't seem to be a problem at all... until about 2 weeks ago. All of a sudden, these tiny freaking flies are everywhere around the dish. Everywhere. Just the feeding dish, not the water dish.

Because of his overhead light, he usually eats his food instantly right after I moisten it for him. Otherwise, it sits out and gets dry after a while. I figured the dryness would ward them off, but they seem to love it. I even scrubbed the dish completely clean and dry, thinking it could possibly remove eggs, but they just set up again after about a night.

It's really annoying, and I hate the idea of my little guy being pestered by tiny flies every time he wants to eat. I've had spiders in there before... should I introduce some more? I figure they could at least help... or maybe sticky traps? I'm really not sure.

Anything would be appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The little bugs will be a problem off and on. Baking the substrate helps ward them off longer. Bake 200-250 for 3 hours. This usually keeps all bugs away for a year or more. You can boil it too if your prefer.