Everyday Eats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athena

5 Year Member
I purchased a female greek a few weeks ago. I'm interested in a type of green that wouldn't be bad for her to eat everyday. I'm not trying to feed her the same thing everyday, but it seems like everything she likes to eat is on the "feed in moderation" list. I thought maybe some timothy hay would be good for her to munch on throughout the day, but so far she hasn't eaten any and doesn't even treat it like food. I've mixed a little dandelion in with it and whenever she gets the grass in her mouth she just spits it out.

So, what makes up the bulk of your greek's diet?

jmhoesch

5 Year Member
We got our Greek about 3 weeks ago and feed him Spring Mix but I also got a bunch of collard greens, turnip greens, escarole and endive and mixed all that together and give him that too. He's such a lil piggie he eats everything then props his lil head up trying to see out wanting more.......

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I grow a bunch of plantain weed during Spring and Summer - which is very high in calcium - and feed that almost every day, mixed in with dandelion leaves, raspberry leaves, grape leaves, daylily, mulberry, and a bunch of other weeds.
I know this isn't really the answer you want to hear, but there isn't really any food you should feed 'everyday' - they need variety. Now, it is ok if in the winter you e.g. purchase some collard greens one week, feed that, then when it is gone, get something else (I try to get 2 diff things each week, but rotate what I get). But as soon as 'stuff' starts growing here, I am collecting it and feeding it to my tortoises. It's a bit more work with 6 than when I had just 2, haha... but it's free, it's healthy for the tortoises, so it's worth it to me. :)

I always have hay in my tortoise enclosures... and have yet EVER to see any of them eat it. I've seen sulcatas eat it... but neither my Russians nor my Greek(s) do. They just don't seem interested in grasses, and want weeds in stead.

jmhoesch said:
We got our Greek about 3 weeks ago and feed him Spring Mix but I also got a bunch of collard greens, turnip greens, escarole and endive and mixed all that together and give him that too. He's such a lil piggie he eats everything then props his lil head up trying to see out wanting more.......

Athena

5 Year Member
Thanks, I'm glad she's not alone in the hay-avoidance. It is winter here, so we have just been buying different greens but my girlfriend is excited to start planting soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.