EVACUATING... HELP

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi Everyone!

Due to the Thomas fire, I will be evacuating later this morning. As many may know, I have a small leopard tortoise. Does anyone have any tips about what to do? Our home and everything will be fine, it is just a safety measure. Any suggestions (traveling, housing, etc.) will be extremely helpful as we will be gone for a couple of days. It is warm enough that I can get him/her outside everyday so lighting isn't a huge concern. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is his enclosure small enough for you to handle easily? I suggest you just move the whole enclosure. He won't know anything's different.

Southern California
Is his enclosure small enough for you to handle easily? I suggest you just move the whole enclosure. He won't know anything's different.

Not really :/ I would love to do that, but it's not quite an option right now. But, like I said, I don't need the UV light, and the coldest it will get is high 60's at night, so do I need a heat source for two nights? My typical closed chamber setup won't work here obviously.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get a large tub with the same substrate and a hide.

You do need a basking bulb, and night temp should not drop below 80. A space heater in a closed bathroom can accomplish this and might be easier than a CHE and thermostat if you don't have those things handy.

Low temps during this time of stress are very likely to cause a RI. I don't know where you are near the Thomas fire, but my night temps about 20-25 miles from there are dropping into the 40s here. In any case, your tortoise will need night heat for sure.

Southern California
Get a large tub with the same substrate and a hide.

You do need a basking bulb, and night temp should not drop below 80. A space heater in a closed bathroom can accomplish this and might be easier than a CHE and thermostat if you don't have those things handy.

Low temps during this time of stress are very likely to cause a RI. I don't know where you are near the Thomas fire, but my night temps about 20-25 miles from there are dropping into the 40s here. In any case, your tortoise will need night heat for sure.

Okay thank you so much!

Southern California
Little update: I got him into the bathroom at the house we are staying in. For some reason because it is a really old house, there is a separate heat fan in the bathroom than the rest of the house. It is maintaining a steady 82/83 degrees in the bathroom and I feel much better about everything. Thank you once again!