Euthanasia

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I’ve been keeping Ornate box turtle for about 8 years. I have an outside pen, 300sf or so that is planted and has many hides. Despite my best efforts, I had a raccoon show up Monday night and pull one of my turtles out and chew off three legs. My initial thought was to keep her inside and let her live out her life but I just don’t think that is my best path.

I called 8 animal hospitals before I was able to find one that would even take on the task. They require an exam and then they will perform the procedure.

It was frustrating to have to call so many people, and then to find out how much it would cost. Although unfortunate, the cost is not an issue for me. I do know that some keepers would have problems with this.

Keep your Babis safe.

Murray
IMG_1931.jpegIMG_1933.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw geez, Murray, I didn't realize it was you I was talking to. I don't have it handy, but ask Google for "Dr. Sue's Housecalls." She used to be the vet at the zoo and she'll come to your house to euthanize the turtle. Reasonable too.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I did find a place. I was just surprised how hard it was. I only posted so that others may read this and remember when they are in this situation.

Next stop, tractor supply to buy a raccoon trap!
Aw geez, Murray, I didn't realize it was you I was talking to. I don't have it handy, but ask Google for "Dr. Sue's Housecalls." She used to be the vet at the zoo and she'll come to your house to euthanize the turtle. Reasonable too.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'm sorry for your loss. Can you bring them inside at night?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So very sorry
If it's only at night the coins are coming around, I know they are nocturnal and usually aren't around during the day time, you could lock the turtles up at night either in a night box or bring them in. Most tortoise keepers lock their torts up every night for this same reason.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA

On a happy note! Look what I found this afternoon! I was pruning/weeding and saw him. I put him in the baby pen, he and siblings will be safe.
IMG_1936.jpeg

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
So sorry about your poor turtle. Can you put up an electric fence?