Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello

Was hoping that somebody out there could give some information on what size a tortoise has to be before it can be shipped ,, i live in Cyprus and out of my 27 eggs that my tortoise laid , 24 hatched out ,, my sister in the UK wants me to send her two , i know about the cost , and what is needed , but just cant find out what size they have to be ,, if anybody know,s would be helpful ,,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you asking if there is a law in place about shipping certain size tortoises? I don't think so. If the weather is good and there are no importation restrictions, you can ship hatchlings.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
No rules, but I like to give them a month post-hatch before I am willing to ship so that I know the buyer will have an animal that is showing robustness. If I sent new hatchlings, things might be fine. However, if there is a health issue raised soon after arrival, I would not be able to be as certain whether it went to its destination with a problem or if the problem was at its destination.

Were I sending one to my brother, this would be a different story. Then I would be willing to send a new hatchling, although I would still prefer to wait the month if he could be patient.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
First of all, what Tortoise species are you producing? A myriad of different statutes and laws pertain to International shipping, so it isn't going to be as easy as putting a Tortoise in a box and sending if off DHL International.......

Dizzy

5 Year Member
Cyprus
100_2898.JPG Thank you for your replay ,s ,, i was told that they had to be large enough to turn themselves back if they turn over, and also that that they had to be large enough for a micro chipped ,, am not sure what type of Tortoise,s i have , but they are both about 39cm by 30cm .. thats mum and dad ,,the babies are about 5cm at the moment, .. had them now for 6 years,, its getting late in the year now so think i will let them have there winter in Cyprus and look into shipping them out in the spring,, only because its so cold in the UK right now and still around 25 degrees in Cyprus ,, poor little things wont know whats hit them if i sent them now ,, lol ..

Dizzy

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Dizzy, you have marginated tortoises.

Dizzy

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Baoh said:

Thank you ... wow was thinking they was just a Greek Tortoise ,, so have mum and dad and 14 babies this year and 7 from the last few years ,, will need a bigger garden ...

dizzy

Attachments

• 100_2727.JPG
    100_2727.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 34

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Dizzy said:
Baoh said:

Thank you ... wow was thinking they was just a Greek Tortoise ,, so have mum and dad and 14 babies this year and 7 from the last few years ,, will need a bigger garden ...

dizzy

Your adults are very nice. Your one on the right reminds me of the older males I would find in the mountainous/hilly forests and olive groves of Evia.

Status
Not open for further replies.