Ethiopian Tortoise ID - Leopard?

thompsono

Location (City and/or State)
Pacifica and Oakland, CA
Hi - I am fairly new to tortoise care, and have been thinking back to tortoise I have seen on my travels ... which are fairly extensive. In particular I was remembering a day in rural South Ethiopia where we found a tortoise making it's way slowly across the dirt road. This was in a lowland, arid area between Bule Hora and Shakiso, on a road that (I think it was an earlier trip) resulted in 6 flat tires between 2 cars. Rough road. So any info on the photos? Age? What a beautiful tortoise this was, and for me, the markings just incredible to see...

the last image was the first sighting - as i approached he was in protective mode so I kept it short and let them be ...

IMG_4894.jpgIMG_4895.jpgIMG_4893.jpg

etreal

Monterrey, Mexico.
Hi:

Yes It is a beautiful Leopard tortoise.

Difficult to determine it’s age without a clear size reference; but for me it looks over 10 years old. Really beautiful.

21 years ago I visited Kenya and Tanzania and was able to see a few of them in the wild. Really special opportunity.

Best regards!

thompsono

Pacifica and Oakland, CA
While checking my photo database I also found this elderly tortoise, photos from a place I stay in Yirg Alem Ethiopia, the Aregash Lodge (highly recommended). Any expert comments? Also a Leopard tortoise.? Very gentle and not shy...

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg