Escaped!

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
One of my 20 lb tortoises, Sargent escaped Monday morning. I was just sick over this. Granddaughter must have unlatched the gate Sunday evening. I put out posters and alerted all neighbors within a 5 mile radius. Late yesterday evening just before sunset we saw a large tortoise in our front yard. I was thinking the other 20 pounder, Yaya, had escaped too so I got it and closed it it the tortoise house. This morning went out there and let it out, gave some greens and fresh water. Then sawYaya in her yard. WooHoo! Sargent had come back home. I guess spoiling your tortoise pays off after all.

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
My daughter ordered me some small GPS trackers from Amazon yesterday. I think they are made for cats but not sure. And I don't know the brand. But now I need to figure a way to attach them to the torts that won't hurt them or that they can lose them. I know the scientists glue transmitters on sea turtles but don't know if that would work for these guys. I have reinforced the gate area and do not let gdaughter anywhere near the enclosure. I don't think I could stand to lose one again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My daughter ordered me some small GPS trackers from Amazon yesterday. I think they are made for cats but not sure. And I don't know the brand. But now I need to figure a way to attach them to the torts that won't hurt them or that they can lose them. I know the scientists glue transmitters on sea turtles but don't know if that would work for these guys. I have reinforced the gate area and do not let gdaughter anywhere near the enclosure. I don't think I could stand to lose one again.
Put a 12" board across the bottom of your gate. Do it on the opposite side from which way the gate opens. This way, when the gate is open, people can easily stop over the low board, but the tortoise can not. You can even make it a sliding guillotine style board for quick easy removal in the event that you need to push a wheelbarrow or a lawnmower through that gate. Just lift it out, push the heavy thing through the gate area, and drop the tortoise barrier board back into place.

You can see what I mean here. The door is wide open, but the tortoises can't walk out, and its very easy for a person to just step over on the way in or out:
IMG_2390.JPG

tortoisenana

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
12" board installed at gate plus childproof latch. Sargent is doing well but has now decided to dig a burrow. That's ok since I have heard that they dig down but not back up the other end. If that's true, we're good. All other tortoises doing well too although none of us are liking this 107 degree weather. Thank goodness for drip lines. Works for tortoises, dogs, and goats, and granddaughters. lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Too cool!
The only tortoise I ever had escape was a little Redfoot.
We searched on hands and knees through the whole yard. Looked through the neighbors yards and after 2 days I figured a large bird of raccoon must have gotten him by now.
On the 3rd day I caught him.....Breaking back in to his pen for food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Put a 12" board across the bottom of your gate. Do it on the opposite side from which way the gate opens. This way, when the gate is open, people can easily stop over the low board, but the tortoise can not. You can even make it a sliding guillotine style board for quick easy removal in the event that you need to push a wheelbarrow or a lawnmower through that gate. Just lift it out, push the heavy thing through the gate area, and drop the tortoise barrier board back into place.

You can see what I mean here. The door is wide open, but the tortoises can't walk out, and its very easy for a person to just step over on the way in or out:
View attachment 278272
That board idea is borderline genius.