Erin-0 Sid-5, Help needed re: flushing wounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
Sid has a tiny little hole under his chin that the vet left open so that I could flush it daily with very diluted betadine and add some granulex. The hole is just big enough for me to stck the curved tip of the syringe in, but the cavern that needs to be flushed is pretty large from everything she had to remove. I have to use 2 syringes consecutively and then add the Granulex.

Here is the problem… He doesn't want me anywhere near it and he is much stronger than I am. It is a warm and sunny day so I put him in his outside pen for grazing because I suspect he will be in for the weekend with the weather we have coming. I am keeping an eye on him and he is keeping a weary eye on me. I have tried and failed to do his clean out about 5 times now. I think that this might be a two person job. I am broken hearted because I think this is ruining the trust that I had been working to gain.

Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? Thank's in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry I don't have any real advice except get some people in to help you. He's not going to like what you need to do, but remember it has to be done. Think of it as a tough love type situation. That trust will come back once this is over and it will be over in a fairly short time period. For now however, health comes before friendship/trust. Hang in there and good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the trouble with trying to work with those big guys. They're just so much stronger than we are.

Maggie de-sensitized Bob long in advance of his first vet visit. There's a thread about it here someplace.

Of course, in your case, de-sensitizing really won't work now...too late.

How did the vet do the flushing? Even if you did have two people, they're just too darned strong for a human to hold the tortoise's head out.

You may just have to be satisfied with keeping the scab picked off and gently pressing the outside to express anything that's in there.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Any way you can put him in a tub or a more enclosed space so he can't go very far. Then once done give him a treat so it's not so bad. Good luck. Stubborn is hard to deal with.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Plus each time your done, be sure to give him some of whatever is his favorite treat (even if it's not on the recommended diet for him :D ). Think of it as a little bit of sugar to help the medicine go down. :cool: Plus a reward for him allowing you to do the treatment and showing him it wasn't done to be mean (that last part is to help you feel better too :D )

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
I had better luck getting my russian tortoise to cooperate early in the morning before he'd warmed up much. Granted, russians are exponentially smaller and weaker than sulcatas but it might give you some sort of added advantage.

Good Luck!!

Patrick

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
RE: Erin-0 Sid-5, Help needed flushing wounds

emysemys said:
That's the trouble with trying to work with those big guys. They're just so much stronger than we are.

Maggie de-sensitized Bob long in advance of his first vet visit. There's a thread about it here someplace.

Of course, in your case, de-sensitizing really won't work now...too late.

How did the vet do the flushing? Even if you did have two people, they're just too darned strong for a human to hold the tortoise's head out.

You may just have to be satisfied with keeping the scab picked off and gently pressing the outside to express anything that's in there.
The vet flushed the wound while he was under sedation.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Great new's Rob and I did it!! We put him on a bucket and when he stuck his neck out Rob just slid his two finger's behind the fatter part of his head so he could not pull in. he knew he was had and did not even fight!! we were able to flush him with bopth syringes and get the granulex in!! Woohoo!! He really is such a docile boy!! He is inside now and pouting in his hide.

Thank's for your help & support everyone!

Yvonne, I am halfway through Maggie's thread's on Bob. I am in BIG trouble!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, the bucket trick is pretty handy. When they get bigger you can use the bucket to weigh them too. That's how I weigh my big Aldabs.

M

Maggie Cummings

Good for you! Treating any kind of tortoise is no fun. I am very glad I have worked a lot with Bob and he is used to having his head held. One of the rare smart things I have ever done! I am glad you've figured it out tho now that wound can get better...:)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yay!!!!!!! And he may be pissed when he sees the "torture team" coming.....but if you don't gladly take on the role....he will truly suffer...... have you done the injections yet?

Also...I found that if I soaked in warm clean water up to the chin it softened up the area and made pushing out any ick and opened up the cut to get it flushed out....just sharing what worked for me :D

I wish you patience and tenacity to get it done..... :D

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Woot! That's great! I'll have to remember that trick when OP is a big boy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just saw your thread and I was gonna tell you to high center him on something, like a bucket. Glad you already figured it out. Don't worry about ruining his trust. Once the treatment is done, a few days of tasty hand fed treats and he'll forget all about it. They don't hold a grudge.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
Good job! I'm so glad that you figured out a good way to flush his wound!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Tom said:
They don't hold a grudge.

Instead they become like Bob and just get even. :p :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California

Jacqui said:
Tom said:
They don't hold a grudge.

Instead they become like Bob and just get even. :p :D

OMG that is sooooooooo funny!!

Erin, maybe Sid will let you win the next round, a mercy win!
Hang in there!!!
Tell him you will call Darth Vader if he doesn't cooperate!

Status
Not open for further replies.