Er...bathroom habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
So how often do tortoises do their business? I know they're not exactly shy about it, but I've yet to see Dom go even when he's soaking. I'd hate to have it blend in with the substrate...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine can go everyday, especially when soaking. It is unusual for them not to do their business while soaking. If you don't actually see them going they might be eating it before you get the chance to remove it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe goes pretty much every day when he's being soaked.

How long do you soak for and is your tort actually in the water the entire time?

My soaking tips are in the link in my sig below

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Once they settle in, get acclimated, and start chowing down every day, most of them get pretty regular and go once a day. Older, bigger ones might skip a day or two sometimes. Most of the time they will go in a soak if you leave them in there for 20-30 minutes.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Well he didn't go this morning when I soaked him, but he didn't eat anything at all yesterday when I first got him. Today I got him to eat, so he should be locked and loaded tomorrow...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Glasswalker said:
Well he didn't go this morning when I soaked him, but he didn't eat anything at all yesterday when I first got him. Today I got him to eat, so he should be locked and loaded tomorrow...

Most likely, day after tomorrow at the latest...what goes in, generally comes back out!

HonuFonu23

5 Year Member
Glendale, AZ
My sully poops in his substrate 95 percent of the time. And he probably poops in his soaking bowl about once a week. Give or take day. But he does poop every single day.

Just make sure you feed your tort properly and you feed him every day.. as well as take care of him, then your tort will be fine.

When you soak him, make sure his water is lukewarm or a little bit warmer than that.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Our SL Star has only gone once (that I know of) in his enclosure. We soak him for 30 minutes, every other day and that is when he poops.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
ours poop everyday while they soak. We kinda don't let them out until they poop. They know this already. and they will enjoy their soak/spa with their legs all spread out under the sun/light until they feel the urge to poop. When they do, they will seek freedom!

We've found poop in their substrate once or twice. they pee more often in their "pool" and we have to change that every 2 days.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
It's okay, he's been going for the past couple days, though it's always in the substrate rather than while soaking, to my chagrin. But at least he's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.