Environment change

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo_83

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!

I have recently rehomed a pair of Horsefield Tortoises and have a couple of questions!

Firstly, the previous owner claims they are about 18 months old, but one is twice the size of the other and the smaller ones has quite a flat shell and the bigger one a more rounded shell.

Secondly, they came in a small vivarium which I have replaced with a large wooden tortoise table. Ever since I have changed their home, they don't seem to want to wake up in the morning anymore and when I wake them up, them are quick to go back and hide again.

The tortoise table is very spacious, with different substrates, hides and rockery. They have a UVA and UVB light and a basking area.

Please could anyone give me some advice to get them active again?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jo:

Welcome to the forum!!

You've done a good thing, even though from the tortoises' stand point it doesn't seem so.

Tortoises really don't like change. Your tortoises will take a couple weeks to get used to their new, more natural and spacious environment.

There are different sub species of Russian tortoise, and it could just be that you have two different kinds, however, I think that it was because of the way they were kept before that has caused them to grow like they have. The smaller one has probably been bullied by the bigger one. When kept in a small area, the more aggressive tortoise will tell the lesser aggressive tortoise to get out of his territory. Whether you see actual bullying or not, believe me, its going on.

Just put out the food, place the tortoises at the feeding station, then quickly get out of sight. They'll get used to you as the food goddess eventually.

jo_83

5 Year Member
lol that's reassuring thankyou!

I'll just keep watch for a while and hope things change :)

jo_83

5 Year Member
Hi,

Just wanted to say that I have witnessed the bullying today. The bigger tortoise bit his leg to get him away from the food.

The big tortoise has adpated to the new environment and comes out by himself, however, the smaller tortoise wont come out at all and when I put him by the food, he is quick to go back and hide. He's not basking either.

I decided to take the big tortoise out of the enclosure and temporarily house him somewhere else, in the hope that the little one will build up an appetite again.

Am I going to be able to put them back together later on? If not, do tortoises live happily alone?

Thanks in advance

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises live just fine all by themselves if they are separated. Even though a lot of us keep colonies they can and do fine all by themselves to. The key to happy colonies is space a square foot for every square inch of tortoise that includes both of them. You may be able to house them together but the bullying will most likely continue.Other tortoises see another of it's species as competition for food, best basking place, nicest hiding spot.

jo_83

5 Year Member
mmmm what are pain, why can't they just get along! lol

I have put him back in and divided the table in 2 for now, so tomorrow I'l go and buy an extra basking lamp. The table is pretty big so I don't think space is going to be a problem. I just hope the little fella realises he can't jump the wall and it's ok to come out! :(

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your torts!

Make sure you double check the temperatures with an accurate thermometer like a temp gun. With a larger enclosure you may need additional heat sources. Glad to read they are separated! Bullying can be emotional and really detrimental to having a tort grow and thrive. Are you using Mercury Vapor Bulbs? The 100 Watt T-Rex Active UV Heat or Mega Ray is the best in my opinion (highest UVB output). Placing a hide next to the food and next to the basking spot will encourage them to move around to eat and bask, but feel safe doing so. I agree with placing them in front of their food each day until they get in their own routine and settle in.

Tortoises are solitary creatures, and although some keepers with herds will notice the behavior dynamics tending towards them liking to be in the group (clumping together to sleep and such), many times a pair does not do well, regardless of age or sex. If you notice the torts spending a lot of time pacing at the divider or they are not eating well, you may want to do completely separate enclosures on different sides of the room so they can't smell each other. The divider alone may solve your problem though. Some torts do just grow at different paces, but if in fact they are the same age, this seems like a clear cut bullying issue.

Its always a good idea to get them a fecal test for parasites done at a tort vet, then a follow up one 2-3 months later to catch any parasites in a different life cycle, and then yearly. One step further is to have them get a check up. Always good to have them established at a vet in case of an emergency.

Good luck!

jo_83

5 Year Member
Hello, thanks for your reply!

Little tortoise was up before me thismorning! I'm so pleased. He was basking quite happily.

I am using an Exo Terra, Reptiglo 10.0 UVB Bulb at one end of the table, so will need to get another basking bulb today.

I would like them to be back together eventually if possible, but if that's not happening I will get another table.

Booking them in the vets this week for a good check over :D

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You might be able to place the bulb at the divider so they share it...not sure how you have it set up. I'd replace it with a MVB after its 6 month life has passed. You can do the same with that and place it at the divider. It will just be lower to get the basking temp on each side of the divider (just be sure to follow the instructions and not place it any closer than the box says). You need to use a ceramic socket hood fixture and a lamp stand with those, with the bulb face parallel to the substate.

Once you've had to separate torts due to bullying, if you'd put them together, it would likely just happen again. Its not so much a size thing but an emotional/personality thing. Even if the smaller one caught up in size the previously bigger one will still think of itself as the dominate one. I just don't want you to think this is a temporary separation because its unlikely they would thrive together from what you have told us. Even if you don't see any physical bullying, there is the emotional bullying.

jo_83

5 Year Member
I see. Looks like I'm buying another tortoise table!

I'l look into the lamp, I can never find a suitable one.

I have just divided it with those fiddle stick bridges folded flat. I put him under the basking bulb for a bit, but have ordered him one for his side.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
post pics when you can.. I wonder if you have two russians or one of something else..
good to know since some care varies..

jo_83

5 Year Member
Laura said:
post pics when you can.. I wonder if you have two russians or one of something else..
good to know since some care varies..

Ok will do, if I can figure out how

The photo's will not attach because they are too big. I have no idea how to make them smaller

tortoisenerd said:
Make sure you double check the temperatures with an accurate thermometer like a temp gun. With a larger enclosure you may need additional heat sources. Glad to read they are separated! Bullying can be emotional and really detrimental to having a tort grow and thrive. Are you using Mercury Vapor Bulbs? The 100 Watt T-Rex Active UV Heat or Mega Ray is the best in my opinion (highest UVB output). Placing a hide next to the food and next to the basking spot will encourage them to move around to eat and bask, but feel safe doing so. I agree with placing them in front of their food each day until they get in their own routine and settle in.

Good luck!

I have got probe thermometer that I use regularly. I can't find the bulbs you mentioned online anywhere. Well I found 1 but it was £65!

Status
Not open for further replies.