Enrichment?

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I’ve seen quite a few tortoise accounts on instagram give their tortoises rubber bouncy balls to play with and letting them explore on the floor in their houses. Is this safe to do? And is it beneficial, especially because it’s getting colder here in the uk so I can’t take my tortoise out very often..

nicoleann2214

NY
I’ve seen quite a few tortoise accounts on instagram give their tortoises rubber bouncy balls to play with and letting them explore on the floor in their houses. Is this safe to do? And is it beneficial, especially because it’s getting colder here in the uk so I can’t take my tortoise out very often..
It isn’t safe to let them explore the floor, they could eat something toxic. It’s just a big no. What size is your enclosure? And I stick a plastic ball in my enclosure and my tortoise will occasionally move it around but they aren’t the type of animals to play with toys.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
This is what i have. You just have to make sure there's no extra plastic left on from the molding process they could easily get off, and a larger tortoise could probably break it, my mine is still small and can't really get a hold of it

20201001_074853.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just make sure he has a nice big warm and safe enclosure inside your house for himself, with everything he needs in it which includes the right water bowl, hides, substrate and of course the right diet. A nice piece of cuttlebone to munch on, a few rocks he cannot get into his mouth, a half "wall" to get around...their needs are basic when it comes to enrichment. That's my opinion.