enjoying louis' growth and challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
i love watching louis grow. he's brought me a lot of pleasure and challenges.

this week - he's taken to trying to climb the walls and has flipped over once. he never did this before. i put a rock in the corner and he stayed away from it for 2 days, but now he's trying to climb again. some days i'm gone for 9 hours to work. i try and come home at some point to check on him (since i work just across the road), but there are busy days when i can't get away and do that. i get concerned that he'll end up flipped over for several hours. but, other than rearranging things, i know there's not much else i can do.

this is in january 2012 when i brought louis home the first day.
100_3730-1.jpg

this is from october 2012. sorry the picture is a little fuzzy.
100_4495.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Nice looking, smooth youngin you've got there! Concerning the corner climbing, I've found what works well is to place a triangle of material 1inch or so higher than the back of the tortoise in the corner of the enclosure. The idea here is to give a physical barrier that the tortoise comes in contact with as they begin their ascent rendering them unable to continue. Hope this helps and again , good looking tortoise!

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
well, the rock wasn't originally in there. he started climbing before i put the rock in. the rock is sort of triangular shaped, so i put it in there as a type of barrier to "keep" him from climbing, but i put it down low enough that if he would happen to try and get over it, he wouldn't flip. the rock settled down in the substrate enough that he just walked up on it and then started climbing the corner walls from there.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I love how smooth your torts shell is growing - so refreshing to see a specimen without pyramiding. Good job! :)

marcy4hope said:
i love watching louis grow. he's brought me a lot of pleasure and challenges.

this week - he's taken to trying to climb the walls and has flipped over once. he never did this before. i put a rock in the corner and he stayed away from it for 2 days, but now he's trying to climb again. some days i'm gone for 9 hours to work. i try and come home at some point to check on him (since i work just across the road), but there are busy days when i can't get away and do that. i get concerned that he'll end up flipped over for several hours. but, other than rearranging things, i know there's not much else i can do.

this is in january 2012 when i brought louis home the first day.
100_3730-1.jpg

this is from october 2012. sorry the picture is a little fuzzy.
100_4495.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.