Enclosure

ridanaseem

Well I just got a Russian tort. Atleast I think it's a Russian. :/ but I'm keeping him in a temporary box till I make up a bigger enclosure. But the box smells strongly of wood. And I may be just being paranoid, but I've heard tortoise are likely to catch respiratory infections and I wouldn't want that. Also, any bugs or other things That I may need to keep him away from?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Pics would be great :D Lots of people who can help identify! How big is the box? If it smells like wood, guessing it is a tortoise table? IFf he goes outside for natural light, keep away from wasps, becuase I've heard of tort's who have gotten stung... o_O

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi:

Can you post a picture of your tortoise and the box you're keeping him in? I don't think a strong wood smell would have any effect on the tortoise's respiratory system, however, if the box is pine or one of the trees that have aromatic oils, it might not be a good idea to keep the tortoise in this box. We don't use pine shavings or shavings from any of the trees that have aromatic oil due to the harmful effect it might have on the tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

ridanaseem

I moved him. Thank you for being so kind! I have another question though. I live in a city where the temperature is usually a sunny 30 degrees C and humidity is usually 60-70%. Do I still need to get a UV lamp? And a humidifier?
Also when I do keep my tort in the sun, he usually runs to his hide box within 5 minutes. Does that mean he is not getting enough sunlight?
Here's a picture of my tort. :D

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406355519.920258.jpg