Enclosure/Yard Updates - 2nd Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So, everyone knows that making a home for our tortoises is an ongoing project. The first year we built a planted nursery for our one baby leopard tortoise Humphrey. Humphrey will be a 2-years-old next week, and is now 8 inches long. Our herd has grown to four now and so our tortoise yard is in a constant flux of change and improvement. I thought I would share pics of the 2nd year, including the grapevines, the bermuda yard, the raised garden bed, and the cactus garden. The hobby of owning tortoises is truly a labor of love, but I have to admit that my hubby does most of the labor, and I do most of the love, haha. Enjoy the pics and I hope it gives you some ideas for your own yard. Oh, and you will also see our new tort house in one of the pics. I will post more about that when it is finished.

Grapevines (2nd year)

enclosuregrapevines_zps6a7a6f8e.jpg

Raised Garden Bed (2nd year)
enclosureraisedbed_zps4e63cdcb.jpg

Spineless Opuntia Cactus Garden (2nd year)

enclosurecactusgarden_zpsbd121762.jpg

Thanks for looking

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is a non stop constant updating project, that we all seem to love doing. It's looking really good. Love the cactus garden.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jacqui said:
Looking good! :)

Thanks Jacqui

wellington said:
It is a non stop constant updating project, that we all seem to love doing. It's looking really good. Love the cactus garden.

Yeah, the cactus garden got half eaten by the rabbits this winter, so had to start some new ones that they aren't quite so fond of.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Really looking good. Love the grape vines. Is the outdoor enclosure the woods structure with the red roof?

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Amazing!! I wish I had the space!! do you move the torts around from space to space??

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
lynnedit said:
Great use of space! Nice looking yard.

Thanks Lynne. It is a work in progress. The plan for this summer is to remove the gravel and replace it with top soil so they will have a more natural area. Also to keep Humphrey from (still) eating the rocks.

sibi said:
Really looking good. Love the grape vines. Is the outdoor enclosure the woods structure with the red roof?

I love the grapevines too. They have really taken off and are already producing a lot of greens. The structure with the red roof is the new tort house. It still needs to be painted, and the heat installed, and then will be ready for habitation.

Eloise said:
Amazing!! I wish I had the space!! do you move the torts around from space to space??

No, I don't move them around. For now they just stay on the grass with the temporary fence around them to keep them in, and to keep the rabbits from eating the grass before the torts get it. Our plan is to build a more permanent wall around the tort area and expand it to include the tort house, cactus garden, grapevines, etc.

kjr153

5 Year Member
Where do you buy a whole Opuntia cactus plant? I'd like to plant some in my outdoor enclosure but I cannot find any. I live in KY so I might not be able to find them at all.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
lynnedit said:
As long as you have enough room for a table and two chairs, lol

LOL, that's right. For a place to put the pitcher of iced tea.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I love it all, especially the cactus garden! Great job!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
kjr153 said:
Where do you buy a whole Opuntia cactus plant? I'd like to plant some in my outdoor enclosure but I cannot find any. I live in KY so I might not be able to find them at all.

I didn't buy them. My next door neighbor has a plant. I just keep taking off pieces of theirs and sticking them in the ground. They are really easy to grow here. You just have to find a spineless one that does well in your area and get a few pads to plant. I had several different nice ones that I got from various sources, but this winter I lost half of them to the rabbits and the frost except for this hardier one. I would suggest that you post the question to others who live in KY, TN, FL, etc. They should have some suggestions for your best source for your particular area. There are over 100 varieties I have heard, so you should be able to find something that will work for you.

CtTortoiseMom said:
I love it all, especially the cactus garden! Great job!

Thanks Erin.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What are you going to use as heating? Are you going to have an electrical line put in?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
sibi said:
What are you going to use as heating? Are you going to have an electrical line put in?

Yes, we need to have an electrical line in. For heating we are going to use a Kane mat with integrated thermostat and a radiant heat panel. Will post a thread on the tort house when it is complete, with all the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.