Enclosure Lid/Top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Just planning ahead here for my bigger outdoor enclosure.

What are peoples opinions on needing an enclosure top for an outdoor enclosure? This would be for when Thor is 3-4 years old (Leopard tort), so a 5-6 inch tortoise. For now he's in his 6x4ft pen that does have a top. He's only 15 months old now.

Here's the scenario. I live in Michigan, and the only predators in the day are the occasional hawk. I have only seen 2 since I've moved here in 2006, one of which ate a morning dove in my backyard. The other was just gliding really high the sky overhead about 10 houses down.

The walls are going to be about 20-24 inches high, so bunnies and other veggy eaters shouldn't be able to get in.

Does a hawk really want to eat a 5-6 inch leopard?

Night time Thor would be brought inside, so I don't have to worry about the raccoons, opossums and whatever else is at night.

The upside to building it so nothing can get in/out is the plants, Thor would be completely safe. The downside is, if I ever wanted to expand, it would be a lot tougher to do so. Also, a lot more materials, and I would have to meet city guidelines (I have those neighbors that would call the city if they saw anything wrong).

I plan to build it so I *can* build the walls up as needed and a lid though. But if I do that, like I said it will be a lot tougher to add on.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would at least use a bird netting like the ones you put on fruit trees to keep the birds from eating the fruit. Stray dogs and cats could be a problem.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Missy is correct about the bird netting but I would use smaller mesh chickenwire against the chance of a dog or similar predator should decide to visit. The chance of a hawk eating the tort is very real especially the one you saw soaring (probably a redtail which do feed on herps).

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Just from personal experience, a 24" fence isn't going to keep out rabbits. I had a fat little dwarf lop that could clear 4' worth of baby gates without having a running start. I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world when I first saw him do it. I imagine that a wild rabbit that is much more physically fit from having to find food and avoid predators could probably beat my spoiled little rabbit in a jumping contest. I wouldn't think that a wild rabbit would be a huge threat to a tortoise, as there are plenty of better things for herbivores to chew on in a tortoise enclosure than the tortoise, but if someone has had a negative rabbit experience I am sure they will chime in.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Thanks guys. I had planned to use the chicken wire if people thought I should.

As far as the bunnies. I have seen countless bunnies here (at least 10 baby bunnies born in my yard so far this year). And probably at least 50 babies I have seen (and of course the mommas). None of them have gotten over the 24" fencing I have around my turnips, collards and bean plants.

I never thought about the stray cats, as I've never seen one in my yard, especially since I never leave my gate open. Same for dogs, they wouldn't be able to get in the yard unless they can climb a 6ft privacy fence.

Seems as though I will do the chicken wire netting that I was thinking of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.