Enclosure and other questions

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have seen on here where people use it on the ramps in their two-story enclosures so it should work.

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the help. I'm going to use the PVC pipe and the non skid strips for it. I'm going to be working on it all tomorrow. If I have anymore questions, will be sure to ask.

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
I got the enclosure done. I still want to add some more stuff in the inside but I've been dealing with a cranky 8 month old that is teething and had errands to get done today so I didn't get everything in the enclosure that I want to just yet. She was walking around the enclosure and knew to go through the tunnel to get the other part of the enclosure, she seems to like it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I love your idea of connecting them,and I do use the non skid tape on a ramp for my tortoises. It works well.

Did you get the lighting question sorted out? I like the Reptisun linear tube light, 5.0. They sell hoods for these. Perhaps you could get one long enough to reach across both sides?
Then you would need about a 60-100w heat source on one side. The wattage would depend on temps underneath.
I would consider a lower wattage bulb, maybe a black light bulb 40-60w for a bit of a heat boost on the other side, it wouldn't need to be as warm.

Looking forward to pics!!!!!

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
I will be posting pics asap. I've had a cranky 8 month old that is teething and i've been busy with other things. Thanks to everyone that helped out!

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
enclosure.jpg

A member here (@lynnedit) used something like this to connect 2 totes together.

Edit: I didnt see there were 2 pages to this thread :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks, @ dannel.
I did connect two 55 gal totes by trimming the rim from one, and cutting a doorway between them and basically jamming them together side to side. That shape worked the best for me.
I also like the idea of a large tube of PVC as a bridge, or cutting the ends off and attaching them end to end for a long enclosure, all good ideas.
Then there is this (I'd probably keep the lid on the connecting piece, and add a lower wattage light on the dark side), from some member on some forum, lol
enclosure.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well, I wish I had that kind of imagination :)I am already toying with the idea of making a two-story enclosure with a large tote on top of my stock tank. I have used up all my floor space the only way to go is up now.

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
Ok...more questions lol. I am going to be changing up the substrate asap. I am using Repti bark but going to be adding other stuff in there with you.

I was thinking about adding eco earth/coconut fiber and mixing it with the Repti bark with leaves on top in one tote and then in the other one adding eco earth where the food dish is cause the worm likes to crawl out and I don't want the turtle eating the bark if it gets stuck to the worm like it has before and then at the other end of that tote keeping the Repti bark and the little area of rocks (big enough, she can NOT eat them). Sound good ? Good idea? bad idea?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Duct tape will work for traction. Your little baby might want to hibernate. And that is a whole new set of problems. Keep her good and warm with humidity and she will probably do great. You might want to keep one of the totes covered to keep in the humidity.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very nice. What did you use for traction in the pipes? Keep updating those pictures, your tortoise is adorable.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Your Eastern has great color:) I like what you did with your enclosure if it was for a desert box turtle or tortoise, but for an Eastern its a bit dry. I would add more cover, more hides, more moisture(make sure the humidity is between 60-80%). Remember you want to mimic their habitat. Add a spider plant, fern, hosta, plant a few grass seeds, some moss from a rock or wooded area(retains moisture) etc. Remember these turtles are semi-aquatic. I would make 1 side of your enclosure more wet with organic top soil and coconut coir (no mulch or bark) with plants and hides and leave the other side the way you have it. Don't worry all of us continue to think of ways to make a better enclosure, you will never be satisfied, lol! Good Luck.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Everything that Eric said :) also add some leaves in there. Keep it nice and bright and warm so that your turtle will not try to hibernate.

iloveturtles88

5 Year Member
Do you think I should take out of some the Repti bark on the side where the leaves are and add more Eco Earth? And leave the other side (food, water dish etc) the way it is?

I had a half log in there but she never used it, so I took it out, but I can add it back in there.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm sorry, I don't see well and I couldn't tell that there were leaves in there :)I would definitely put the log back in and fill it with maybe sphagnum moss and leaves. I don't know much about reptibark. I use a combination of coconut coir and orchid bark mixed together throughout the enclosure. My Boxturtle seems to like the area of sphagnum moss under the heat lamp, I make sure to keep it moist, even more moist than the rest of the enclosure. You can pile dirt on top of the PVC pipes also and give him another place to climb.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Leigti is spot on, I took a plastic pan used to dip wallpaper border in and cut it in half. (You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards, they are an installation kit for wallpaper border). I placed the cut pan in the corner, obviously dome side up, and then covered the whole top and sides with substrate, enough for your turtle to burrow down. It gave my box turtle some terrain contour, ability to climb on either side(which they like to do), and another spot to look about. My box turtle loves to climb. I put moss on top so she can hide. Cheap easy way to create a hill and a hide in one shot. I never seen anyone do this, just walked by the pan one day in my garage and the light bulb went off. So be creative, and have fun doing it:)