Emergency! Is he dead??

aidanhd500

5 Year Member
My tortoise flipped its self onto the back of his shell, right beneath a heat lamp, and now, is not moving. He's a cherry head red footed, still juvenile, and was healthy. He climbed the side of the enclosure, and wound up on his back right below a heat lamp. (major design flaw in both my placement of heating lamps, and tortoises inability to flip when reversed on their backs. I digress). Really not handling this well, forgive my humor... Thing is, and from what I've seen/read/been told, tortoises are supposed to get all rag-doll like, and sag when they die. Yet, Oliver is still stiff, but not rock solid. You can feel that his joints are able to move - it just seems like he is stiff. His eyes are shut, and his head is out of his shell, held upright. I know tortoises and turtles are capable of slowing down their heart rate, so I'm holding out that he might be alive. Hell, even if he's trying to pull a fast one on me. I can take a picture if need be - I'm not quite sure how long he was under the heat lamp, but it had to be over a few hours. Not the first time he's flipped over under one, but it's the first time I didn't catch it. Please, try your best to help, or pass it along to someone you think might be able to. The vet isn't open until early tomorrow morning, and I'm not sure how long he will last in this state, or what I can do to make sure he stays alive through the night. [/align]

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
First thing I would do is put the little guy in very shallow, cool water. I'm sorry I'm not much help. Hopefully someone can help more. I hope the little guy pulls through.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would soak him but not in cold or cool water, but a little warm. You don't want to shock him with cold water. Let him soak for a while, keep the water warm, not too warm, but don't let it get cooled off either. Good luck, keep us posted.

aidanhd500

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I currently have him in a dim light warm area, in his small dish of warm water. Still hasn't moved. My mother is running to pick up some stuff to help with dehydration. I can take him to the vet tomorrow morning, so right now it's about keeping him alive (as he appears(?) to be). I'll keep you posted.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can your mom get some unflavored piedialyte? Mix it in the soaking water. Good luck. Glad he is still alive. Sounds like you have him in a good area. Keep an eye on him, but let him rest, stay warm and soak up some water.

aidanhd500

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Can your mom get some unflavored piedialyte? Mix it in the soaking water.

Yup, she's on a hunt for some now. That's exactly what we're planning to do. Thanks for all the support :\

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Breath? Look and listen for any breathing.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
If he's alive, he should be breathing. Place a thin piece of tissue near his nostrils. The paper should move some. Is there's no air coming from his nose, try to open his mouth. If there's no resistance, I would fear the worst has happened. Now, you said that you think he's alive? Why do you think that? I truly hope he is alive. Being under the hot light on his back for more than an hour can definitely kill him. Heck, even for 20 minutes under basking temps could kill him. You're doing the right thing by soaking him in temps of 85 degrees. Make sure his head is above the water. Keep us posted.

One other thing, if you have a small flashlight, you can pry one eye open and shine the light in the eye. If the pupil moves and gets smaller, he's still alive. If nothing, then just keep doing what you're doing until you can get him to a vet.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Best luck to you man! ! ! !

We all hope he will soon be kicking again.

aidanhd500

5 Year Member
It's over, guys... Thanks for all the help, but he didn't make it...

LABZOO

aidanhd500 said:
wellington said:
Can your mom get some unflavored piedialyte? Mix it in the soaking water.

Yup, she's on a hunt for some now. That's exactly what we're planning to do. Thanks for all the support :\
I am so so sorry to hear of your emergency....just fyi:

It is extremely hard to tell if they are in fact "dead". Sometimes I bring in road collisions only to find out they are in fact "alive". Whatever you do, take it to the vet to confirm- do NOT put it in the freezer or burry it even if you think it has passed. The heart will continues to beat after the brain is dead - they require special euthanasia procedure to ensure the animal is in fact deceased.
"Because it is often difficult to confirm that an amphibian or reptile is dead, the application of two or more euthanasia procedures is usually recommended." AVMA Guidelinesfor the Euthanasia of Animals: 2013 Edition.
Wishing you all the best!!! Please take care :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
aidanhd500 said:
It's over, guys... Thanks for all the help, but he didn't make it...

OH...............I'm sorry!!

That is a terrible news. I thought he will make it. Sorry!!!!