Help ASAP Please. Is my tortoise dead?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Please accept my sincere condolences Spud.You did all you could with your cutie. Please do not keep blaming yourself. Things sometimes just do not go the right way no matter what we do.

May he rest in peace.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Oh, Sweetheart! I am so, so sorry to hear this!!!! You know how many baby torts unfortunately meet this fate... Way too many are bred purely for profit without any regard for their wellbeing. You are the best young pet owner I've ever met! I hope my 11 yr old daughter (my grandtorts' mom) starts spending more time on TFO more, and modeling you. Take your time to grieve this loss and come back to us as soon as you are ready. In your grief please shower your remaining pets with love. Doing so has always helped me deal with a loss of a pet. Take care❤️

Randi

Canada
I am so sorry for your loss. May the memories made together bring some comfort and peace to you. I wish you the best. :<3::tort: RIP.

abigaaailllll

he is just sore, when a tortoise flips on its back its shell crushes it lungs. your tortoise just needs rest now, but to answer your question, yes he is alive

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
he is just sore, when a tortoise flips on its back its shell crushes it lungs. your tortoise just needs rest now, but to answer your question, yes he is alive

This is basically not true, Abigaaailllll. When a tortoise is on its back for any length of time, all the inner workings inside the tortoise's shell press down on his lungs, and make it difficult for him to breathe. If he's under the light too, he dies quickly. We have determined that Spud's mum's tortoise has died.

I too lost a tortoise because it was on its back. I came home one day to find one of my Manouria in her back...45lbs worth of tortoise, and one I raised from a hatchling. She was already dead when I found her. My guess was that one of the other tortoises flipped her.

So sorry, Spud's mum! This is indeed bad news.

Last edited:

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
So sorry for your loss! I know you said you are going to take a break from the forum, but just don't beat yourself up for your torts passing! Many on this forum have experienced loss just like you. Myself being one of them. Wish you the very best and hope you find happiness in another tort one day!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sorry to hear little Darwin didn't make it ! :( You tried everything and did your best , that's all anyone can ask .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm very sorry.
You are always so upbeat, I'm especially saddened that this has happened to you.
If it helps at all, the only tortoise that I ever lost to death was a three week old Redfoot.
He flipped over while I was at work. So I do understand your loss. It's much harder when it's such a young and inexperienced tortoise.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
So sorry to hear about little Darwin. It really is a tragic accident. There is no way you could have forseen this happening and we know from your posts here that you do everything and anything that you possible can to care for your torts. Take the time out that you need and just remember that everyone here on the forum will be right here for you when you return!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
RIP, little guy. You sure had a lot of "human creatures" rooting for you here! And a very caring owner.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Please accept my condolences, and come back to TFO as soon as possible. We like to hear from you as usual. I like some of your post although i'm just a silent reader.
RIP DARWIN :<3::tort:

Last edited: