EMERGENCY!!! (ear abscess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanessa

5 Year Member
Ok my Adult ornate box turtle has a bump on its head where I imagine the ear would be. I don't know what to do I can't go to the vet not enough money! Is there any home treatments?
INFO- female
-Outdoor habitat
- adult
- ornate box turtle

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375298098.311174.jpg it has a red tip

Last edited by a moderator:

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
EMERGENCY!!!

First things first, you're going to need a picture for anyone to say what they think it is. Second, a bump on the ear could be an ear abscess. I'm not an expert, so I'll wait for the others to chime in, but it is most likely going to need veterinary care. Search around for vet clinics that do payment plan options or have a pet credit card. I had a dog who was hit by a car and needed extensive surgery to repair his broken limb. The card was like a normal credit card, but made it so we were able to afford his care.

Good luck.

vanessa

5 Year Member
EMERGENCY!!!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375298156.572954.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: EMERGENCY!!!

I can't help much. Just keep it clean until someone that can help comes on. Yvonne, Jacqui or tortadise are three that should be able to help. There's others too, I just can't think of them off hand.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
EMERGENCY!!!

That looks like an ear abscess to me, and if it is, it needs to be lanced and drained by a vet, and the turtle needs to be put on antibiotics to prevent infection at the lance site.

vanessa

5 Year Member
EMERGENCY!! IT MIGHT BE LIFE OR DEATH PLEASE HELP

My adult female ornate box turtle has a bid bump on its head where I imagine the ear to be it has a red tip is it a bite? My turtles have outdoor habitat. Did it get bite by the other turtle in its habitat? ImageUploadedByTortForum1375299129.979358.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375299139.375527.jpg

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise

I'm not sure, I would say ear infection but a red bump I'm not sure of.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: EMERGENCY!! IT MIGHT BE LIFE OR DEATH PLEASE HELP

Making more threads won't get faster help. Just keep it clean until the right member that can help gets on. You can send the three I mentioned in your other thread a pm and then they will help you as soon as they get on.

vanessa

5 Year Member

Ok thanks

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

It's an ear abscess. It's not going to die from it, so take a deep breath. It should probably see a vet. Where are you located?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio

It's an abscess, and will cost about 80 bucks or so for the vet to remove it. And yes, it needs to be removed.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

Agreed...ear abscess. it would need to be lanced and drained, then put on antibiotics to prevent infection. The swelling is a dead give away...not a bite.

vanessa

5 Year Member
EMERGENCY!!!

Thanks everyone

UPDATE I took her to the vet today she got a antibiotic shot it cost $54 and I have to wait five days if it doesn't go away in five days they have to drain it! [FLUSHED FACE]

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
EMERGENCY!!!

A couple months ago I had to have that procedure done on my tiny 10 month old Eastern ($250 in Canada). The vet didn't get it all so it grew back the very next day :-/ She didn't lose her appetite though so the jaw motion was pushing the pus into her cheek and while pawing at her mouth, her arm scales ripped the incision open and the whole icky thing came out! Of course I was freaked out but it turned out to be the best thing. I cleaned it with Betadine, kept up the Baytril and in less than a week was back to normal.
I'm surprised your vet didn't lance and drain it... Maybe give her earthworms so that she can "accidentally" paw it open herself? If so, make sure to clean it well and keep her indoors so the flies don't get to the wound.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They very seldom (read never) ever go away by themselves. Abscesses on turtle/tortoise ears need to be lanced. If you leave it alone, it will just get hard and stay there. What you see on the outside is doubled on the inside, making it hard for the turtle to swallow. It is NOT a giant liquid pus-filled cavity like a pimple, it is a giant hard pus ball like cottage cheese. The older it gets, the longer you leave it alone, the harder the pus gets.

Your vet did the right thing to not lance it right away, because it has to ripen before it is ready to be lanced. Next time you'll know to not go to the vet right away, but to let the abscess ripen for a week or so before you go.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I believe that the vet SHOULD have lanced it when you were there. From my experience, it was certainly ready. Then an antibiotic, and good to go. Now, you'll be charged for another visit, and more antibiotics. It's a simple procedure that should take a few minutes.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Tried the antibiotics without getting it lanced before. Did absolutely nothing. I guarantee it will need to be lanced

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
is this a common thing for turtles and torts? ive never heard of this before

Status
Not open for further replies.