Electra is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
So i've been waiting all week for my 2013 pastel ball python to get here. She is my first snake ever, including holding one, or anything. When fedex lady dropped her off I had a short panic like - what am i doing i just bought a snake! But I opened up the package and the bag and got it open and there she was. I put her on the bed and gathered some courage to pet her, and she didn't tense up much. But she took off in a hurry and i was scared to pick her up cause the babies bite more or so i'm told. She was cruising pretty fast too! She went straight to my pillow and hid under as you can see in the pic. But finally I decided to stroke her twice and then pick her up. Once I got her in my hand I calmed down but I have to say its intimidating when you get a snake the first time and they are legit staring you down. I put her in the cage after that and she is climbing everything. I hope she finds a good home and we warm up to each other. Decided to name her Electra since she is a pastel and the yellow is enhanced, and because she is a pretty speedy thing :)
979683_10151449734302051_2036034435_n.jpg
973903_10151449714402051_1024290846_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She is beautiful!

You will find that ball pythons are actually very gentle, slow moving snakes. With age she will not nip or move fast! Even most babies aren't very nippy, as far as baby snakes go.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Wow! She's beautiful! Gotta say, BPs are very head shy, and are more willing to jerk away and S than bite you. I swear our girl Pollen is super skittish compared to our old Ball python, but she has never bitten us. Just hissed at my boyfriend XD

If you are ever scared to pick her up, and she is coiled up, pick her up from behind, and support her body nicely. Usually when they're in your hands, they calm down. If they see you comin they can get riled up. Pollen is a nine month old Pinstripe we got at Repticon in April :) Looking forward to seeing Pollen and Electra grow!

Pollen.jpg

Peekin Pollen.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
Thank you everyone! now that initial first handling is over and I realize she's not that bad I've kept her out for about an hour to get used to her and practicing picking her up and everything. She really is pretty calm and hasn't nipped or tried to or anything. One point I thought she would under that pillow because she stuck her head out and up and was just staring at my hand so i was waiting for it but she actually came over and just went right across my hand and up onto my leg. Alex (the breeder) Helped me out a lot and gave me instructions and told me she was a calm snake. I'm very happy with her so far. She is very beautiful, I'm glad I decided to get a morph instead of just a normal. Even though pastel is common I think they are really cool with the enhanced colors. We even went to petsmart so I could get an extra UTH. The workers loved her and she didn't mind being handled throughout the short trip. Now she is getting the rest of the day to be in her cage and get used to surroundings and destress and left alone. :)

wiccan_chicken said:
Wow! She's beautiful! Gotta say, BPs are very head shy, and are more willing to jerk away and S than bite you. I swear our girl Pollen is super skittish compared to our old Ball python, but she has never bitten us. Just hissed at my boyfriend XD

If you are ever scared to pick her up, and she is coiled up, pick her up from behind, and support her body nicely. Usually when they're in your hands, they calm down. If they see you comin they can get riled up. Pollen is a nine month old Pinstripe we got at Repticon in April :) Looking forward to seeing Pollen and Electra grow!

nice! Cute little python :) Electra was born in April. I really wanted a bumble bee morph but I didn't want to spend 400 bucks on a snake. I'm really happy I went with a pastel though, she is so pretty in the sunlight. I watched a lot of videos on snakes so I wasn't sure why I was so nervous, but at least I got over it :p Thanks for the advice!

Vickie

5 Year Member
Girl you got guts! I am one also with a life long fear of snakes and even have issues getting close to them in aquariums.....they just scare the you know what out of me. I am glad it seems though you two are warming up....really hope you enjoy her. :)

KimC90

5 Year Member
Beautiful! Youre so brave! Ive held some snakes before and spent some time with a ball python but to have it shipped to you and just dive in, wow!!!

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
My close friend has an 8 ft Reticulated Python and I never would go near the thing, his size was scary! I prefer my small little baby to the 8 footer :D but she is turning out to be quite tame and well behaved thank you :)

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
EchoTheLeoTort said:
Thank you everyone! now that initial first handling is over and I realize she's not that bad I've kept her out for about an hour to get used to her and practicing picking her up and everything. She really is pretty calm and hasn't nipped or tried to or anything. One point I thought she would under that pillow because she stuck her head out and up and was just staring at my hand so i was waiting for it but she actually came over and just went right across my hand and up onto my leg. Alex (the breeder) Helped me out a lot and gave me instructions and told me she was a calm snake. I'm very happy with her so far. She is very beautiful, I'm glad I decided to get a morph instead of just a normal. Even though pastel is common I think they are really cool with the enhanced colors. We even went to petsmart so I could get an extra UTH. The workers loved her and she didn't mind being handled throughout the short trip. Now she is getting the rest of the day to be in her cage and get used to surroundings and destress and left alone. :)

wiccan_chicken said:

nice! Cute little python :) Electra was born in April. I really wanted a bumble bee morph but I didn't want to spend 400 bucks on a snake. I'm really happy I went with a pastel though, she is so pretty in the sunlight. I watched a lot of videos on snakes so I wasn't sure why I was so nervous, but at least I got over it :p Thanks for the advice!

I love the Bumble Bee morphs! Also the Spiders :) Pollen was picked up in April. I think the yellow on Pastels are so beautiful, also the swirly black patterns are so stunning. Good luck with your new girl! Glad the breeder gave you a nice and docile snake :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Glad to see you got your ball python . Very pretty snake .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
mike taylor said:
Glad to see you got your ball python . Very pretty snake .

Thanks Mike! Hope your snakes are doing well. I was kind of scared at first of her but she is turning out to be very calm, easy to handle, hasn't hissed or tried to bite. Really starting to like her and she is very beautiful.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
They are some laid back snakes . Just remember don't feed in it's enclosure. They can and will get cage aggressive. Don't want you to get bit and get scared of it . I always use a snake stick to get them out of enclosures. Also handle it daily and you shouldn't have any problems.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
mike taylor said:
They are some laid back snakes . Just remember don't feed in it's enclosure. They can and will get cage aggressive. Don't want you to get bit and get scared of it . I always use a snake stick to get them out of enclosures. Also handle it daily and you shouldn't have any problems.

Yep. I don't have a snake stick but what I do is first find her head so I'm clear of her striking if she gets scared, then I just gently stroke her and let her know I'm there. She tenses up a bit but I can pick her up without any hissing or problems. I actually had to break the rules about letting her settle in and we went to petsmart to get another under tank heater, she let me handle her in the store as well as letting a kid pet her without any problems ( i did make him touch her from behind so he had no chance of getting bit ). And tonight I had her outside awhile while a cop came to my house because someone smashed in my windshield, and it scared the cop but she actually handled extremely well. I felt she was going to bite me a few times cause she just stared intently at my thumb or my neck but she just cruised over my thumb and rested her head on my arm a lot. I am getting way more comfortable and trusting of her, things are going quite well. :) Thanks for all the help! I do plan on feeding her outside the cage in a different enclosure, and I'm gonna stick with live feeding. I might feel uncomfortable about it but my grandma doesn't want dead mice in our freezer so at least she will stay on what she is used to.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sounds like you in the right track.

Kameo37

5 Year Member
From what I have read, feeding inside the cage is fine and cage aggressiveness by that cause is a myth. As long as you are opening their cage for other reasons besides just feeding-- cleaning, handling, etc-- there is no reason why the snake would always associate you opening their cage with food. BPs can actually be quite shy with feeding and leaving them alone (not handling) during feeding is probably best. We put the f/t rat in a sideways yogurt tub in the cage, shut the top and put a towel over it so it is nice and dark for her. Leave her be for 30 minutes and the rat is gone!
Also, I would switch to f/t as soon as possible. Yes, you CAN feed live, but for now your live ones probably aren't moving around much/can't see. A live rat that can see and move efficiently can do some damage to a snake. I've seen TONS of pics and threads about snakes being bitten and having scale damage. Just not a great way to start. Put the frozen rats in a brown paper bag, no one will be the wiser. ;)
For more info, I definitely recommend www.ball-pythons.net. It's the equivalent of this site...but for ball pythons!
-Mandy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Mine is food aggressive so as far as I'm concerned its no myth. She will strike at the glass when I come near. Once I get her out she's a big baby. I've had her 17 years and have always fed inside the cage. I've been considering feeding in a seperate area just haven't done it.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
I've been feeding mine in a tub. She doesn't strike or anything if I go in her cage or pick her up. She's super tame so far. I am feeding the tegu in a separate cage most the time as well. Its working pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.