Egyptian was egg bound now depressed

Illinibunny

kezilulu said:
Hope she keeps improving! Keep us updated you're doing amazing by her!
xXx

Thanks so much. I have kept soaking her I Pedialyte with an additional 25% warm tea made from willow leaves and twigs as a mild analgesic and a couple drops of baby vitamins twice a day for 30 minutes. She is much stronger than she was, and her hind legs are stronger. She even nibbled at a piece of romaine. Still no feces or urine. She is also much more alert to what is going on around her. I did bring her to her regular enclosure for 15 minutes, and that is where she found a limp piece of romaine from morning. Of course, when I gave her fresh greens, she wanted nothing to do with them. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Donna

amanda0883

I am a new tortoise owner, so I can't really give any advice, but I just wanna say that I am hoping she gets better!! Sending good vibes your way!!

Illinibunny

Thank you all who responded to my post last week. OT, all hell broke loose in my life shortly thereafter with the stroke and two days later the death of my last, and favorite Uncle, massive problems at work, and the continuing sub zero temps that make living on a farm a physical and emotional struggle.

That said, Buddy has very slowly improved. Interaction with her friends in her habitat helped improve her alertness an willingness to move about. She had attempted eating a little spring mix lettuce, but it seemed she was going through the motions without ingesting any. Yesterday, I took a shot at adding some Oxbow Hay Critical Care to the soaking water; about a tablespoon to a cup of water. She was interested in the smell of the water, a little like anise. I did it again today, and dribbled a little barley grass powder mixed into a thin slurry into her mouth which she did not enjoy. I rinsed her off from her soak and put her into the habitat. The other two immediately went for her spring mix, and in a few minutes, she joined in. She is now chunking down food with gusto. She hasn't defecated since Feb. 18, but she hasn't eaten since then, either.

What do I do now? The vet hospital called on Monday, and I told them about the Pedialyte, and I was pooh pooed.

Thanks again, Everyone!

Donna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What do you do now? Just relax and enjoy your animals. I think she's on the road to recovery.

Oh my I'm sorry xx Hope you and Buddy are fine xx These things take time to recover from x stay strong for buddy x she will be fine please keep updated xx Lots of hugs

From Chlöe Essex,England

And I'm very sorry about ur uncle :( xxx lots of hugs

From Chlöe Essex,England

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
Condolences on the loss of your Uncle.
So happy Buddy is now improving. I can imagine your stress.

Just wondering, from the more experienced keepers, how often something like this happens (being egg bound).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You know it's like your budget you get a few dollars ahead and you get aflat tire . A few years ago I had big nice male leopard tort out side in their pen but for about a month when by and he wasn't eating so I took him to the vet the vet said he had eaten a part of a store plastic bag ( please in AZ it gets real windy before a rain storm ) I gess part of one must have got in their pen and he ate it . Well the vet said he would keep the tort over night and give him the surgery in the the morning it would cost $1500.00 for the surgery . In the morning I went to pick him up and the vet said he died during the night . So I asked him what I owed him he said ...................... $1500.00 so I payed him .