new to forum. 3 box turtles and one needs a vet for egg bound situation

Brian_E

Location (City and/or State)
Austin Tx
I have three box turtles and one of my girls has 5 under developed eggs that haven't changed in the past three months. I've been getting ct scans once a month at Gulf coast veterinary hospital. I get the idea they handle her roughly and she came home yesterday missing a toe on her right hand and I'm so upset I don't want to take her back. But I don't know of anyone else that can perform such a surgery on a box turtle. She had this surgery two years ago at texas A&M small animal hospital and they went in through the plastron, but today they no longer do anything on reptiles. Gulf coast says they have endoscope tools and would prefer going in through the leg.

Is there anyone else in texas that has done this successfully? Any recommendations?

This has been going on for months now. she started being lethargic I want to say 4-5 months ago. Did a blood test and the white cell count was high. so we started antibiotics. I got a ct scan, and then two more at gulf coast. Also gave her an avian birth control hormone even though there is no study to show it works in turtles. That the third time we used that. The eggs aren't going away, and her health is declining. I'm going to talk to Texas Avian & Exotics in Grapevine on Monday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Surgery through the upper back leg area is common and easier on the turtle. Since this isn't a one time thing, if you can afford it, you might consider getting her sterilized at the same time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anesthesia is hard on turtles and tortoises, so there is always a risk. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

One of our members is a vet in Southeast Texas, I think Beaumont??? His username is exoticsdr, but I can't remember his real name or the name of his practice. Maybe one of our members can help?

Brian_E

Austin Tx
I got a recommendation for Texas Avian & Exotic Hospital. The profiles of the people there are impressive. They seem really compassionate. So i will take a trip to see them.

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
I would suggest looking at all the exotic vet hospitals and do as much research as you can. I don't know any because I've never had to take my sulcata to the vet, but there are a bunch of vets and there are probably some that can help with your issue. Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think a turtle is considered 'egg bound' until the eggs have calcified and she is straining to pass them.

Brian_E

Austin Tx
I don't think a turtle is considered 'egg bound' until the eggs have calcified and she is straining to pass them.
I dont know what the right terminology is. But she needs anyibiotics and is having liver issues and shes losing weight. Her nutrition and health is declining. Im sure theres a word for it

Brian_E

Austin Tx
Keep us posted...

i will go back in a week to bring her home. Its been a long adventure.

Dr Nic of OSU has been pioneering new techniques for this and Linus has stretched the technique to its limit bc she is so small.

looks like the pic of the removed eggs wont be posted

Attachments

• 8759F39E-6E03-4963-B9D9-3BF4BDA41823.jpeg
    8759F39E-6E03-4963-B9D9-3BF4BDA41823.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 11

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
O
i will go back in a week to bring her home. Its been a long adventure.

Dr Nic of OSU has been pioneering new techniques for this and Linus has stretched the technique to its limit bc she is so small.

looks like the pic of the removed eggs wont be posted
OSU? Oregon State University???