Edible plants for RES

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just acquired another RES. So I created a new, bigger habitat for them. I took their plastic pond and stuck it in an 8' trough...much more room for them. I would like to add some edible water plants as well as plants in the soil. Any recommendations would be wonderful!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Duckweed, water Hyacinth....those are the first two that came to mind :D I am sure if you wait a bit...others will also offer their information :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a warning anything and I mean anything you put in there will be eaten so don't get attached or spend a lot of money on the plants. I use water hyacinth from time to time, but it never lasts more than a day. There is a guy I know who gives it away from time to time when his pond (no turtles) gets to crowded.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
You can try water lilies. Just keep in mind that any live plants will be dug up, knocked around, and eventually eaten. Buy only what you're prepared to lose, any plants you put in will basically be food.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the input everyone!! I expect everything to be eaten, but now the problem I'm finding is the local stores don't carry pond plants.... You all gave me a lot to research for.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Home improvement stores carry them, but they are usually expensive.

2Reds1Sulcata

5 Year Member
Arizona
dmmj said:
Home improvement stores carry them, but they are usually expensive.

I checked Wal-Mart and Home Depot today. Going to the city this weekend so maybe I'll check Lowe's too. Thanks!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Mine eat SpringMix. They also Love Hotdogs and Ham once in a while.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Utah Lynn said:
Mine eat SpringMix. They also Love Hotdogs and Ham once in a while.

Do a little research in your area for local nurseries (places that sale plants) Also look for anyone selling water plants and bog plants. With a well planted system you can grow plants, fish, snails all on the efluent of your turtles' filtering system. I raise all the plants my turtles can eat in the same sized area they have.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Cat Tail and Water Iris work fine with RES, but will take the pond over if not kept in check.Mine don't eat them but love to hide in the stems and leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.