Eco straw for my Russian tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombomb1997

5 Year Member
Is Eco straw a good substrate for my Russian tort? I recently discovered my mixture of play sand and coir can cause intestinal problems for my tort. Probably the reason why he hasn't eaten in a week. Any suggestions on a good substrate for my Russian tort Sheldon?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
play sand and coir can cause intestinal problems for my tort. Probably the reason why he hasn't eaten in a week.

So if you think that your tort has been ingesting the substrate to the level that he is impacted, then this is a serious thing--potentially life threatening.....I would suggest that you offer warm water soaks a couple times each day for at least half an hour each soak...you will want to aid him is clearing/passing any of the unwanted items through his system....

I would use Peat moss as his substrate;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-3-cu-ft-Peat-Moss-70976040/100626048#.UeMG-GT71yE

slightly wet/moisten the peat moss when you start it in the enclosure--this will help you to press it down to a sturdy walking surface.....

tombomb1997

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info I have already been soaking him everyday. I am asking about the Eco straw because the guy at the local pet store has been using it for his torts for 30 plus years. Is there any specific reason why I should use sphagnum moss instead if the Eco straw?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I do not use straw products....I simply feel that it is not indicative of the earth that the torts would naturally live on/in....that is all :D

Also, straw has a tendency to mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.