Eating too much???

TheSulcata

I have two 1 1/2 year old sulcatas that eat SO MUCH!!! I feed them like 3 times a day (sometimes more) and put them outside and they eats grass. I try to feed them less but they run around when I don't and seem unsatisfied... PLEASE HELP (their shells are about 6 inches each)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Torts don't eat to much ! But if you want to save some money go to the feed store and buy them a bail of grass . Your lucky Russians won't eat grass .

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
No they aren't eating too much, let them eat all they want. I feed mine in the morning and then they graze all they want during the day.

You think they eat a lot now, Just wait. Mine is just over 2. Is going on 12" and 10 pounds and eats like a horse and poops like one too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As a feeding guide for my leopard, I was told to imagine his shell as an upturned bowl and feed him that amount - to start with! BUT if they want more, feed more and if they don't eat less, feed less. The torts will be your guide. They can really pack it away for such little things! Daily my Lola has been eating a 5 litre (10.5 US Pints) container full of food plus extra dandies or romaine or whatever else I have bought for him. He eventually stops when he's had enough.:)

TheSulcata

I had another question. Is it possible to "reverse" or, heal shell pyramiding in sulcatas?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Yes, it can be almost unnoticeable if it's changed at a young age and decreased if they're older.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I had another question. Is it possible to "reverse" or, heal shell pyramiding in sulcatas?
I don't believe you can reverse it but I have read threads which say that with correct care/humidity you can stop it getting any worse and have smoother new growth. Try doing a search about 'pyramiding' and see what that throws out.
My rescued leopard is bumpy but in the 2 years I've had him I've been soaking him regularly and tried to improve humidity and it doesn't seem any worse.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't believe you can reverse it but I have read threads which say that with correct care/humidity you can stop it getting any worse and have smoother new growth. Try doing a search about 'pyramiding' and see what that throws out.
My rescued leopard is bumpy but in the 2 years I've had him I've been soaking him regularly and tried to improve humidity and it doesn't seem any worse.
You are correct. Pyramidding cannot ever be reversed.

However, it can become less obvious as a tortoise grows.

TheSulcata

Ok, because I have had them since they were 9 months old and they had already started pyramiding. They are now a year and a half so I was just wondering (and hoping) that I could reverse the previous owners mistakes

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok, because I have had them since they were 9 months old and they had already started pyramiding. They are now a year and a half so I was just wondering (and hoping) that I could reverse the previous owners mistakes
There's an awful lot of growing to do from 18 months old :)

Any pyramidding now will be barely noticeable when they're fully grown with the correct care; I promise :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They should be able to graze all day and eat as much as they want of the right foods. Here are the right foods:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

They are big enough to start introducing grass hay. I prefer orchard grass hay, but bermuda grass hay works too. Grab a small handful of hay and chop it up super fine with scissors. Then put a small amount in some warm water and let it soak for an hour. Then chop up the greens for the day and wet them. Mix the chopped/soaked grass hay with the chopped greens thoroughly and serve.

Start with just a tiny amount go the hay to let them get used to it. Over time add in more and more. By the time they are 12" they will be eating plain old dry hay out of a pile in the enclosure.

To repeat what others have said: You cannot "reverse" existing pyramiding. What is there will always be there. What you can do is put them in the correct monsoon season type conditions, and eventually, over months and years, make the new growth come in smoother. This will greatly reduce the appearance of the pyramiding that already exists.

Are they living in separate enclosures?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Here's what my 4 year old sulcata looks like even though he started pyramiding at about 4 months, before I found this forum. New growth became smooth with better care. WP_20161026_15_55_33_Pro.jpg WP_20161026_15_55_44_Pro.jpg
Note that the pyramiding was not reversed, but as you can see, new growth got smoother and, as someone just said, he looks great! :)

Last edited: