Eating Pothos

DJ Kirk

Location (City and/or State)
Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Hard to believe in the natural evolution of red foot tortoises that some came across fallen avocados and ate them no problem. Too think otherwise seems plain dumb. Now, modern avocados with all the pesticides and fungicides that farmers use? Maybe that's the issue.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hard to believe in the natural evolution of red foot tortoises that some came across fallen avocados and ate them no problem. Too think otherwise seems plain dumb. Now, modern avocados with all the pesticides and fungicides that farmers use? Maybe that's the issue.
You would think that if something naturally grows and is available in a certain area in the wild, then the animals living there would be able to eat it no problem? Maybe it does not necessarily follow. Maybe it does do harm sometimes and we just do not witness it. Or maybe it may be toxic in combination with another item that the animal has consumed?
I always believed avocado to be a wrong thing to give my dog, cat, rat, iguana and tortoises.....but is it???:eek:o_O:confused:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Plants develop poisons in order to survive and not get eaten. Its not that they have "intelligence" to think this out, but ones that develop a sap, or compound in the leaves that is more toxic, or bad tasting, are the ones that survive. Other "tactic" work as well. Growing tall, having thorns. Some plants "use" animals to disperse seeds and the fruit is best serving its survival if tasty!

So there are indeed many toxic plants (and animals) that have developed these defenses for animals native to their own native range. That is the whole point!

In reference to Pothos, it is rated as a level 2 toxic plant. That is a rating that refers to the plant having raphides, or calcium oxalate crystals that is an irritant when eaten. This works well for the plant with mammals, but it is totally ineffective with chelonians who are unaffected by this. I am not as concerned about plants as well as level 1 toxicity which is dermal - skin contact reactions. Thistle is certainly one of these and my tortoises love them.

Avacado is another matter. (Leaves or seeds, not the fruit.)That is a level 4 toxic plant. That means it contains compounds that can affect the heart, liver, kidneys or brain. So even though chelonians are unaffected by needles, glochids, and raphides, I would not want to experiment with a chemical compound that is know to damage organs. It may or may not be something chelonians are immune to, but I choose not to risk that.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Plants develop poisons in order to survive and not get eaten. Its not that they have "intelligence" to think this out, but ones that develop a sap, or compound in the leaves that is more toxic, or bad tasting, are the ones that survive. Other "tactic" work as well. Growing tall, having thorns. Some plants "use" animals to disperse seeds and the fruit is best serving its survival if tasty!

So there are indeed many toxic plants (and animals) that have developed these defenses for animals native to their own native range. That is the whole point!

In reference to Pothos, it is rated as a level 2 toxic plant. That is a rating that refers to the plant having raphides, or calcium oxalate crystals that is an irritant when eaten. This works well for the plant with mammals, but it is totally ineffective with chelonians who are unaffected by this. I am not as concerned about plants as well as level 1 toxicity which is dermal - skin contact reactions. Thistle is certainly one of these and my tortoises love them.

Avacado is another matter. (Leaves or seeds, not the fruit.)That is a level 4 toxic plant. That means it contains compounds that can affect the heart, liver, kidneys or brain. So even though chelonians are unaffected by needles, glochids, and raphides, I would not want to experiment with a chemical compound that is know to damage organs. It may or may not be something chelonians are immune to, but I choose not to risk that.

Wow talk about a dark side for a good. I just knew they hated car rides-have had SOCal guacamole and it about blew my mind!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

Thanks, Mark.
So, the thing about it being poisonous AND about them being ok for tortoises are both actually true.