Eating dirt

THEELEG

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, TX
image.jpg
OZZY exploring his outside home checking out the growing greens, he has nibbled at the soil is that alright??

And he just pooped in front of my wife lol

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I only had 1 dirt/rock eater. I added some powdered MinerAll to his food and the rock eating stopped. I eventually stopped the supplement and the habit never came back.
Some say they eat substrate when they are lacking certain minerals.
Maybe it's not that..Maybe it was a test bite, I don't know. Keep an eye and see if it keeps happening.

Reactions: Tom

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have several that will eat dirt and rocks. I supplement twice a week with MinerAl. It has not stopped. I have removed as many rocks as possible and continue to do so. I keep my tortoises well hydrated. They pass rocks on a regular basis.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have several that will eat dirt and rocks. I supplement twice a week with MinerAl. It has not stopped. I have removed as many rocks as possible and continue to do so. I keep my tortoises well hydrated. They pass rocks on a regular basis.

Interesting.

My tortoise didn't come with an "everything you'll ever need to know about me" manual. Did yours? LOL

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
In my limited experience, they'll all have a nibble at some point, if only a tester, as has been suggested.
Tidgy did it when very young and then stopped and another tortoise I 'visit' likes to eat any small rock like objects, in preference to food, it seems.
Give it a cuttlefish bone to nibble, even when outside, maybe that will help.
And torts pooping in front of family/guests is one of the joys of tortoise keeping.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
In my limited experience, they'll all have a nibble at some point, if only a tester, as has been suggested.
Tidgy did it when very young and then stopped and another tortoise I 'visit' likes to eat any small rock like objects, in preference to food, it seems.
Give it a cuttlefish bone to nibble, even when outside, maybe that will help.
And torts pooping in front of family/guests is one of the joys of tortoise keeping.

This is the best reply yet lol, he has a cuttle but I haven't seen him go after it. I wasn't sweating it to much was just wondering

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
This is the best reply yet lol, he has a cuttle but I haven't seen him go after it. I wasn't sweating it to much was just wondering
Sorry to put a damper on it, but I should have said that if he does it too much it could be a problem and cause impaction unless he is kept very well hydrated like Jodie said.
If he's not eating his cuttle bone, and some torts won't, scrape a little on his food a couple of times a week.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Sorry to put a damper on it, but I should have said that if he does it too much it could be a problem and cause impaction unless he is kept very well hydrated like Jodie said.
If he's not eating his cuttle bone, and some torts won't, scrape a little on his food a couple of times a week.

That's what I have been doing, soaking, vitiam powder, and calcium powder

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I see this more with tortoises fed a lot of grocery store foods.

What do you feed?

THEELEG

Houston, TX

What do you feed?

I've been feeding him grocery now, but our garden is starting to grow and today was the first day he has eaten off of that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been feeding him grocery now, but our garden is starting to grow and today was the first day he has eaten off of that

Grocery store type foods, wherever they are grown are lacking in fiber. Frequently its the need for fiber that causes them to want to eat the substrate. Are you using Zoomed Pellets or real grass in the diet, mixed in with the other foods? If not, you should be.

THEELEG

Houston, TX
Grocery store type foods, wherever they are grown are lacking in fiber. Frequently its the need for fiber that causes them to want to eat the substrate. Are you using Zoomed Pellets or real grass in the diet, mixed in with the other foods? If not, you should be.

Like my front yard grass?? I read some dif stuff on here

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

What do you feed?
In winter I grow grass and supplement grocery greens with grassland tortoise food and Mazuri. Currently ans since early May they are fed several kinds of grass, thistle, dandelion, prickly lettuce and other weeds and flowers that are safe. Grape leaves, pumpkin and zucchini leaves, rose leaves, hostages.... no grocery greens.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
In winter I grow grass and supplement grocery greens with grassland tortoise food and Mazuri. Currently ans since early May they are fed several kinds of grass, thistle, dandelion, prickly lettuce and other weeds and flowers that are safe. Grape leaves, pumpkin and zucchini leaves, rose leaves, hostages.... no grocery greens.
I know what's causing the problem, it's all those hostages you are feeding them :) :) don't you just love AutoCorrect. And Siri makes me say all sorts of weird things.