Eating Different Cactus

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
The ambient temperature here in Southern California hovered in the mid 80's today, so three of our four CDTs were out sunning, drinking and eating a few grape leaves and gazanias. Our senior female surprised me today by eating a significant amount of a cactus which has remained neglected for the 5 years its been in the yard. I rather wonder why this cactus, and why now? There were optima cactus pices as well as cuttings of aloe in their food dish . . . but these were passed over by all. Could there have been something in this cactus that was missing from her diet? I can only assume that after living for 80 years or so, she knows what here body needs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@orv
I think you may be correct.
I've had tortoises suddenly eat as well as suddenly stop eating certain things.
Most shockingly was when I had tortoises eating rocks.....Because I hadn't provided high calcium or mineral options.

Reactions: orv

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
I've stopped giving any of them calcium foods until they emerge from brumation in the spring; nothing with sugars, as well. Right now, their foods are high-fiber sources, as well as the ocassional hibiscus or rose, just because I spoil them. I'm happy to have them graze on grasses and weeds until they're satusfied. None of them is eating much this late in the season. Their bodies pretty well tell them what to do. I'm still curious about our old female eating that cactus this afternoon. The temps are supposed to remain in the mid 80s to even the 90s for the next week or so. I guess they'll all come out to get some sun, a quick drink and a few bites to eat. My wife and I just love watching them. They provide great enterainment for the neighborhood as well. They typically go into brumation for good in early November and begin comming out sometime in late March.