Cactus Hedge

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I have been meaning to post a photo of this for a couple years now but never got around to it. I used to care for a lady that lived on this road and I was amazed by it every time I drove past.
All my family and good friends know how crazy I am for Cactus, I'm known for stopping on the side of the road and clipping some. And my friends are known for it too and bringing me some! I was so amazed by this I had to bring them all to this place to show, even my non cactus-enthusiast friends were amazed.

It's a hedge... made out of cactus. I think new people have moved in. It used to be way thicker, not even light shined through. The only way you could enter their property was through a gate which had signs saying beware of dogs and that they had security cameras. I was always too nervous to stop for pictures or take any!
I finally got around to it because a friend texted me saying they were getting rid of a bunch, they had several huge piles laying out by the road! I loaded my '92 vw cabriolet up. I couldn't believe how thick some of them were, like a tree trunk! I think new people moved in bc most of the signs were gone. The hedge also didn't seem as thick. I havent gone by again to see the final product.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That is way cool, Erin. Thanks for sharing!

Here in California, we are rethinking our landscapes because of the water uncertainties. I have to say, when front lawns are removed and replaced with cactus, succulents, plumerias, drought tolerant Iceberg roses, sages, herbs ... we are creating a better garden for all. I see more butterflies, hummingbirds... more happy birdies. Cactuses, when they bloom, some, all of those flowers, are divine. As fencing, is a killer idea. And more food available if you are a tortie geek! Winning.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
My parents just purchased a home with a similar cactus fence but the hedge isn't as thick. Kind of neat how no other fence is necessary.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It can really get out of control. I like the way that it has been groomed for a hedge.
I wrote a while back about a house that I used to own that had cactus in the corner of the yard. I chopped it down with a machete and then drove over it with a lawn mower. End of story. However, every spot that a chunk of cactus over 1/2" wide landed had grown into a new plant when I returned a few months later and the entire yard was becoming a cactus patch. It was actually very hard to get rid of. I imagine that with patience, you could really do some creative things with the stuff.