Eating and pooping!

swhip

Hey guys! So I just got my Russian tort about a week ago and he's only ate twice since then..my heating lamp burnt out on Saturday so we had a little set back and I've been keeping him warm in bed with me each night before bed. He doesn't seem to eat much just sleep. I gave him a soak this morning and on a fb group I'm apart of they said that it'll help them use the bathroom and what not but I haven't seen him has to bathroom since I've had him. I wouldn't even know what to look for honestly. Can you guys give me alittle helps

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Get a new heat lamp if your temperatures are too cold. Warming them with your body heat is likely quite stressful for the tortoise and ill advised. They can't digest if not allowed to warm up sufficiently - no eating or pooping will happen if this is the case.

What are your high and low temps, day and night, in the enclosure? What are you using for UVB? How long are you soaking (anywhere between 20-40 minutes usually gets most tortoises to poop)? They can also eat their poop, so you could just be not seeing it. What are you trying to feed your tortoise?

swhip

I just got paid yesterday and I'm getting a new heating lamp but I'm not sure which to buy cause on the fb group they said you can buy the heating lamp with the red light also, I have the hottest room in the house so I just opened my vents and I keep the door closed so the heat stays in my room, but when it's cold and the heats not on I have the coldest room, although the heat runs throughout the day so I'm not too worried about my room being cold. I soaked him in the morning for about 5 mins in a glass pan and then at night I take him in the tub and let him walk around. He ate lettuce but then I found out it was bad for him so I got some kale and he ate it the first night I put it in there but now he just kinda flips over his bowl and walks all over it lol. I do have a UVB light on him. I'm just so worried he doesn't like it here and he'll get sick or something. I use to own an aquatic red ear slider so I know a bunch about them, I just feel bad and feel like I'm neglecting Sven(my tortoise) because I'm not as knowledgable about what to do and it's so hard to research cause I go on one website and it says one thing but then another website says something different. The same with the fb group, I just don't know what to do and I feel like I'm failing as a tortoise mommy lol :(

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Follow advice here. It was written by a very experienced member. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

You need to start measuring your temperatures if you aren't yet. If your room isn't too cold for you at night, your Russian is likely fine, but you need a hot basking light during the day.

Some lettuce is okay, it's just very nutrient light - what is key is variety. Feed as many leafy green kinds as you can get (you don't have to feed them all every day though).

Start doing longer soaks.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
This is the best place you Can get info. These people on this forum have very up to date info and are very helpful. Just follow the advice given by the members and they will not steer you wrong. Ask questions. The experts will get to you. I am fairly new to tortoises so I will leave the advice to them.
Good luck

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't worry, don't panic: you'll get the help you need.:)

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. And soak him daily in warmer water for longer. I soak OLI :<3: (my beloved Greek tort) each and every day in very warm water for about 30-40 minutes, and when the water cools down he begins to struggle, "telling" me that I'm to change the water.;)

Again, don't worry, and ask ANY question when in doubt or when you need help.:D

And a very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Warm welcome from Texas. Glad you have found us. Post pictures of your tort, enclosure, lights you use, tell us in detail about your routine and Friends on here who keep your species will be able to help you tweak stuff. Relax, just keep your tort warm, give her nice warm soaks, access to fresh water, good food, and keep on posting and reading. You'll get it right