How much should a tortoise poop?

Magiskebecky

Location (City and/or State)
Denmark
hello I think that I have a problem with my tortoise and how much she goes to the bathroom how much should she be pooping in the weeks I just wanted to know since it concerns me :tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They poop as much as they need to. It all depends on how much they eat and whether or not they are properly hydrated. It can be hard to find the poop of smaller torts, especially on bare substrate or soil.

It currently looks like I own a small pony due to the quantity of tortoise manure on my lawn; there's loads!

What are you feeding your Russian? Do you soak him and, if so, how often? Is he kept indoors or out? (Pictures can make explaining easier :) )

Magiskebecky

Denmark
They poop as much as they need to. It all depends on how much they eat and whether or not they are properly hydrated. It can be hard to find the poop of smaller torts, especially on bare substrate or soil.

It currently looks like I own a small pony due to the quantity of tortoise manure on my lawn; there's loads!

What are you feeding your Russian? Do you soak him and, if so, how often? Is he kept indoors or out? (Pictures can make explaining easier :) )

I keep my tortoise indoors but put her outdoors when it is warm enough I sometimes put her outside for 3 minutes when it has just been raining. At the moment she usually only eats outdoors. She will eat dandelions small stones and some harmless plants if she think that they taste good. I usually research the plants and find that they are harmless for her. If I should be completely correct then I soak her about 2-3 times a week or when needed Thanks for the reply her e is a picture of my tortoise

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Nope, no picture, I'm afraid.
Try not to let her eat the small stones, maybe give her a cuttlefish bone to munch on.
Too many small stones may cause impaction which is dangerous.
How often does she poop and pee, that you're aware of?
If she's not pooping, try giving her more warm soaks, this can often help.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
Mine poops once a day, or sometimes 2 to 3 times. Depends on what he eats, and his level of activity. He had a slow period in early spring where he wasn't as active and didn't eat as much. During this time he only pooped every few days.