Easy to make indoor enclosure

Elnewman622

Location (City and/or State)
OH, Usa
I've been wanting to get a new enclosure for my Russian and I've tried talking to people about making me one and they just don't want to do it . So I have taken it into my own hands and decided if I want something done do it my self . But I just haven't been able to think of any good ideas. So if anyone could list some ideas with the plans and stuff because that would be great I'm not the most crafty person and I'm not the greatest at building and I just don't have time to look at every website on Google to find a good and easy plan for my tort . I really want to get him out of his current enclosure because it's the tortoise home or what ever it's called but I've heard so many bad things and I need to step up my game ! So good ideas would be very appreciated!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If it is an adult you can use a big bookcase laid on its back with the shelves taken out. Going to shower curtain in the bottom to waterproof it and you're set. or a kiddie pool if you can find one this time of year. Or a Christmas tree storage box if you can still find one of those. or a stock tank from the feed store. The idea is to get as much floor space as possible, not necessary Larry Leigh Heights.although it should be at least a foot deep.hope that helps a little bit.

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
If it is an adult you can use a big bookcase laid on its back with the shelves taken out. Going to shower curtain in the bottom to waterproof it and you're set. or a kiddie pool if you can find one this time of year. Or a Christmas tree storage box if you can still find one of those. or a stock tank from the feed store. The idea is to get as much floor space as possible, not necessary Larry Leigh Heights.although it should be at least a foot deep.hope that helps a little bit.
Thank you so much I never really thought about a Christmas tree storage box but that's a really good idea I bet I could find one at Home Depot or lowes especially at this time with people putting away their Christmas trees ! That's is an idea I will most likely use thank you so much !

louisa

newcastle uk
Hi im looking in to making a outdoor enclosure aswell .The idea of using a bookcase is great

99redballoons

I used a plastic storage bin. Can't remember the size I just got the biggest one I could find . It's very easy to put together. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1420390179.759375.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi im looking in to making a outdoor enclosure aswell .The idea of using a bookcase is great
You have time to figure out an outdoor enclosure depending on where you live. from Reagan if you are not very handy or don't have the tools you can get some premade raised garden beds and then put a lid on them made out of chickenwire or hardware cloth.

louisa

newcastle uk
You have time to figure out an outdoor enclosure depending on where you live. from Reagan if you are not very handy or don't have the tools you can get some premade raised garden beds and then put a lid on them made out of chickenwire or hardware cloth.
Im in the uk so the weather does not break till may/june so iv abit time to mess with ideas .the raised garden beds is a brill idea thank you

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Im in the uk so the weather does not break till may/june so iv abit time to mess with ideas .the raised garden beds is a brill idea thank you
You should buy a cold frame, it helps a lot! I have one and even on cold days, with a little sunshine it warms up fast. Even now on winterdays it gets way too hot for my brumating hermanns, so I have to cover it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can put two or three or more of them together to make a bigger area if you need to.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've been wanting to get a new enclosure for my Russian and I've tried talking to people about making me one and they just don't want to do it . So I have taken it into my own hands and decided if I want something done do it my self . But I just haven't been able to think of any good ideas. So if anyone could list some ideas with the plans and stuff because that would be great I'm not the most crafty person and I'm not the greatest at building and I just don't have time to look at every website on Google to find a good and easy plan for my tort . I really want to get him out of his current enclosure because it's the tortoise home or what ever it's called but I've heard so many bad things and I need to step up my game ! So good ideas would be very appreciated!
What is your location? I wouldn't mind taking on a build locally.