Eastern Box Turtle. LAYING EGGS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
This was unexpected. We were getting ready to return her to the spot we found her in a few days. Well, we have a very large outdoor enclosure for her, but she climbed over the screen, and started digging a nest last night!! Now she's laying eggs!! I am so excited but she appears to be laying some on top of the ground?? What can I do? I'm thinking about collecting them in a tub and just setting them outside to incubate naturally, that way I can move them when needed. Any suggestions, or help?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373202840.951769.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1373203265.421873.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Eastern Box Turtlw. LAYING EGGS!!!

I would set an incubator up and try to hatch them,

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

Don't put them in a tub & leave them

Sorry, sent too soon. In a tub outdoors you can't control temps or humidity. They can easily dry out or drown. Either leave them where they are and protect the nest, or use an incubator.

Be careful not to jostle them & leave them in the position they are laid. You can use a pencil for a light marking if you need to.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!

I would bring them in. Incubate them in a small container of moist vermiculite. I've lost to many eggs by leaving them outside to recommend it over bringing them inside . Ants and other animals can't get to them if they are inside.

5 Year Member

I had to collect the eggs because 2 were laid on the grass and 1 was laid in soil that became very dry very fast. it was moist last night but now it was dry as dust. so I Very carefully placed them in a shallow metal pan with about 4 in vermiculite. The temp is 82 degrees F. The eggs are in a shallow pan of moist vermiculite on a shady spot on my porch, with a damp paper towel loosely draped over them. I don't have an incubator, but I can maybe get a thermometer to keep them inside. I do have a reptile UVA lamp. Question: one of the eggs was laid vertically, so I placed it vertically in the pan. Will it be ok? I placed all the eggs in the pan as they were originally laid. Any suggestions?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.

Don't over wet the eggs they can drown the moist substrate should be enough, If it stays at reasonable temps or will work, I used the cooler aquarium heater technique and it worked great

5 Year Member

I won't have access to an incubator,But I'm going to a pet store tomorrow to get some heating supplies...what do I need? And, how can I tell if the eggs are fertile? However, this method is working for now.ImageUploadedByTortForum1373248528.812852.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373248545.465954.jpg the temp varies from about 78 F at night to about 82 F daytime, outside.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member

Please release that turtle! She was taken from her home territory where she probably had a good spot to use for nesting. She may yet have more eggs to lay. Don't delay.

There are all kinds of home made incubators you might use. I've heard of someone in Florida who used a clay flowerpot filled with vermiculite & sphagnum moss outdoors where the temps were good. Others use a small semi covered aquarium or cooler with an aquarium heater to keep the water at a constant temperature & have the eggs in a container resting on a brick.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!

The eggs don't have to be kept in the same position if taking the day after laying because the embryo is still suspended . Just for the future , if they are laid vertically you can adjust them to lay flat within the first day or so. If you had found them a week after they would have to stay in the same position.

5 Year Member

I researched the egg turning when it was laid vertically and it said you can gently turn a vertical egg to one side in the first 24-48 hrs. So, I gently turned it to a horizontal position. I also read to place a little glass bowl of water in there and put a moist paper towel over the whole container to keep the humidity up. I have a small thermometer submerged in the substrate in it so I can see what the temp is where the eggs are. I also added a little of the dry grass and dirt from the original laying spot, thinking it might be good for the eggs. The eggs are submerged about 1/2 inch in the substrate (moist vermiculite, soil & composted grasses & wood chips). I let the mom go last night, because she might need to lay more eggs and it would be better. I just really hope the eggs are alive. Is there any way you can tell if they're fertile from their physical appearance? 1 of them is more white, and the other 2 are tannish color but maybe seem to be changing color? It's a little hard to tell. They seem to be getting lighter, but as I said I'm not exactly for sure, because they have dirt on them. My homemade "incubator" is sitting outside where temps are good. I thought this would be good for them to have natural temps. Any suggestions?

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
If egg starts to get a chalk white within 72 hours, chances are they are fertile. But not 100 percent. I have had a few eggs turn chalk and still not hatch. Best way to tell is after about 4-5 weeks you can candle the egg. If you see blood vessels, chances are you're having a baby.

5 Year Member
HELP! What is happening? As you can see half of the egg is a darker color and the rest is white. What is causing this? Does this mean the egg isn't fertile? ImageUploadedByTortForum1373324629.983456.jpg

5 Year Member
Please this egg is dark on one side and white on the other, does anyone know what is happening?

And it's gotten darker on the one side, is it a dud? I am very confused..

Status
Not open for further replies.