Eastern Box Turtle Courtyard

Jacobjtd

Hey everyone! I have an eastern box turtle named Smoky,
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434495339.210684.jpg
Here she is now! My goal for her is to turn my family's old vegetable garden into a little courtyard for her and my Hermann tortoise.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434495458.204221.jpg
There he is! His name is Chives. Now I'm creating a combined enclosure for them outside. (Yes they have different enclosures inside)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434495547.428312.jpg
That's the area I have to work with! I plan on changing the walls to nonchicken wire. Along with reinforcing them. Now I'm on a limited budget being an unemployed teenager. They currently mostly only have dandelions, and a few other weeds in their courtyard. I am curious about what I should put in there that will work with my little guys. I just want to make them as happy as they can be!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't put them together outside. It's not safe to mix species. Their diets and habitat needs aren't the same.

Each of them can use a habitat at least that size.

Chicken wire is not good for walls. It folds. Your animals can climb. The hermann's is going to want a well planted area for grazing. The boxie wants a nice leaf pile for burrowing and bug hunting. Both need water dishes and shelter.

Jacobjtd

Okay cool thanks, the enclosure won't be a permanent stay btw it's for the days I'm outside I can have a safe well put together area for them. They will return inside at night and during days I cannot keep am eye on them.