Dwarf hermann tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
S there any different safety precautions with a dwarf hermann or a normal hermann species

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Many years ago Western Hermann's, Testudo hermanni hermanni were called "dwarf" Hermann's. In reality they are generally smaller than Eastern Hermann's but Dalmatians are often the same size or smaller than some Westerns. They are truly dwarfs.

In terms of care there is really no difference.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GBtortoises said:
Many years ago Western Hermann's, Testudo hermanni hermanni were called "dwarf" Hermann's. In reality they are generally smaller than Eastern Hermann's but Dalmatians are often the same size or smaller than some Westerns. They are truly dwarfs.

Interesting.

crispy1979

5 Year Member
Richmond2 said:
What substrate is the best for a hermann tortoise

The tortoise trust in the uk recommend a sand/soil mix. I use that and my hermann is fine

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
For babies I like to use a combination of about 60% organic potting or top soil, 30% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum moss. I have tried other substrates but like this combination the best because it can be kept moistened without being soaking wet while still allowing firm fitting but is also soft enough for babies to dig into.
For adults I like to use cypress mulch. I've used other substrates but cypress mulch doesn't easily mold and is very inexpensive and easy to replace.

ALDABRAMAN said:
GBtortoises said:

Interesting.
"They are truly dwarfs"

That was supposed to be They aren't truly dwarfs, meaning the Western Hermanns.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GBtortoises said:

Learn something new every day, I had never heard them termed dwarfs. Thanks!

Richmond2

5 Year Member
So in addition to this 70% sand and 30% coconut coir would be acceptable also roughly how much food each day I don't want to over feed tony the Herman tortoise

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
Safety precautions?

Don't let them play in the road unsupervised.

Richmond2 said:
So in addition to this 70% sand and 30% coconut coir would be acceptable also roughly how much food each day I don't want to over feed tony the Herman tortoise

I personally do not like using sand as a substrate, especially not that much. Sand dries out very quickly and then creates a fine dust. It also clings to everything that may contain a slight bit of moisture including a tortoise's eyes, mouth and food. It also does not hold it's form well for tortoises to dig into or for good footing. While it does hold heat well it also cools off just as rapidly once heat is taken off it. I don't believe that sand has any good qualities for an indoor tortoise substrate.
I prefer organic soils (potting or top) combined with coconut coir and ground sphagnum moss or ground leaves. Or for larger enclosures and tortoises just straight cypress or orchid bark mulch.

Over feeding isn't usually an issue for a normally active tortoise. Quality of the diet and other important factors such as proper hydration, temperatures and light more determine the health and activity of a tortoise than anything else. There are some obvious things that should be avoided like meat proteins and even excessive plant proteins. But tortoises do in fact need some protein in their diet for growth and to maintain good health. With proper hydration tolerable levels of protein are easily absorbed and put to use.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Don't let them play in the road unsupervised.

I personally do not like using sand as a substrate, especially not that much. Sand dries out very quickly and then creates a fine dust. It also clings to everything that may contain a slight bit of moisture including a tortoise's eyes, mouth and food. It also does not hold it's form well for tortoises to dig into or for good footing. While it does hold heat well it also cools off just as rapidly once heat is taken off it. I don't believe that sand has any good qualities for an indoor tortoise substrate.
I prefer organic soils (potting or top) combined with coconut coir and ground sphagnum moss or ground leaves. Or for larger enclosures and tortoises just straight cypress or orchid bark mulch.

Over feeding isn't usually an issue for a normally active tortoise. Quality of the diet and other important factors such as proper hydration, temperatures and light more determine the health and activity of a tortoise than anything else. There are some obvious things that should be avoided like meat proteins and even excessive plant proteins. But tortoises do in fact need some protein in their diet for growth and to maintain good health. With proper hydration tolerable levels of protein are easily absorbed and put to use.

Ok thank you

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Richmond2 said:

Try more like 80% coir and 20% sand or even less.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Richmond2 said:
Is a 24" vivarium to small for a Herman tortoise

The other dimensions might help us understand the size better. If it's a typical 24" vivarium it might work for a hatchling. Once it's an adult it will need bigger. Walter is in a 2' by 3' and it's still technically to small, and he's just a tiny guy.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
I didn't want to buy a vivarium that is to small because I am aware that hermanns. Stay considerably small however people in the past have told me that vivarium are a terrible idea what d you think I need some advice

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Richmond2 said:
Is a 24" vivarium to small for a Herman tortoise

24" long? By how wide?

A baby Hermann's is fine in a small enclosure. But a single adult should have an indoor enclosure no smaller than 24" x 48" and bigger is defintely better. Outdoors as much as possible is even better.

I raise baby Hermann's and other Testudo species 2-3 each in Rubbermaid sweater boxes that are approximately 18" x 28" x 6" up until they are about 2.5". Then in a 2' x 4' enclosure, 3 each up until they're about 4". While bigger is always better in the long run I find that raising babies is actually much easier done in a smaller enclosure up until they're about 4". Easier to keep track of their activity, better heat & light distribution, easier to keep hydrated and closer proximity for the tortoise to their food and water.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
Could someone explain to what it is or means when a hermann tortoise gets worms and how to sort it and all the other infections

Status
Not open for further replies.