Durin - 5 week old check-in!

minimoo

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY (junction of VT/MA)
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving in the US, and a great weekend everywhere else! We ended up getting a foot of snow...

Durin (Dalmatian Hermann's) was just shy of 2 weeks old when he joined my crew, and I've had him for about 3 weeks. He is enthusiastic with all of the offerings I've given him thus far (dandelion leaves, plaintain, clover, bok choy, romaine, mustard greens, radicchio and mazuri original), and I've seen him go back and forth to graze throughout the day. Fresh greens are given every morning, Mazuri about 2x/wk. He is soaked every morning for 15 - 30 mins, before breakfast. I have only seen him chomp at the cuttlebone once (but I do work full-time).

The first 2 weeks, I only witnessed him urinate and defecate twice each, but he has been more forthcoming with feces in the third week.
He seems bright and alert to me, no discharge from eyes or nose, etc.

I feel like he seems healthy, but I have 2 questions:

1. He doesn't seem to passing any/a lot of urates, as I haven't seen a pudding/toothpaste evacuation since the first day. Is this anything to be concerned about? I have seen what looks like a faint white residue when he's soaking, and then it kind of dissolves away. I guess I was expecting something more like snake/bird/lizard and this is nothing like it...

2. I notice that when he walks, the rear half of his plastron doesn't necessarily clear the ground when he walks. I know the wood floor is slippery - this is from observing him walking on a paper towel as he's drying off from soaks). Is this a kind of normal (baby?) thing or does he look bloated or unfamiliarity with walking surface?

Below are pix of him from this morning (Yes, I removed the dog hair from him, and no, they absolutely do not have any interaction with him), as well as his updated enclosure:
Basking: I can't remember right now if it's a 75 or 100 watt incandescent bulb, but is set to 95 on a thermostat
Ambient temps: around 80 during day, 70 at night
Humidity range: 60 - 80%+
UVB: Reptisun (I think?) T5HO 10.0 on from 12-4p. I can't actually tell how much UVB is at shell height, since the solarmeter is so much taller than him, so it's kind of a ballpark.

Any/all feedback requested...would love to know what to look for! e.g. Do his nails/beak look ok or do I need to put in more things that will help grind them down? Thank you!

IMG_3114.jpgIMG_3112.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I think your temperatures at night be off, humidity too, and I leave my lights on 10 to 12 hours a day. Please wait for an expert to help you, because I not. Have you read the care sheet from the forum, it will help. @Yvonne G

minimoo

Upstate NY (junction of VT/MA)
Thank you for chiming in! Yes, I have kind of melded Tom’s, Hermanni Haven’s and breeder’s care sheets…I should have noted that I have 6500k LEDs on for 12hrs. I’ll go back and check temps/humidity in case I’m remembering incorrectly.

Reactions: Ink