Introducing Durin!

minimoo

Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY (junction of VT/MA)
Hi All! First, thank you to everyone who helped me fine-tune Durin's enclosure, but please don't hesitate to let me know if there are still things that seem off.

Durin is a Dalmatian Hermann's and was hatched 10.22.21. I picked him up yesterday afternoon, and after a warm soak, a bite to eat and exploring every inch of his new home, he promptly put himself to bed (I'm only referring to it as "him" because all he has done so far is eat, drink and sleep ?). He seems well enough this morning, but needed some assistance in finding the food and water dishes again. Other than that, he's been busy basking/sleeping.

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hi All! First, thank you to everyone who helped me fine-tune Durin's enclosure, but please don't hesitate to let me know if there are still things that seem off.

Durin is a Dalmatian Hermann's and was hatched 10.22.21. I picked him up yesterday afternoon, and after a warm soak, a bite to eat and exploring every inch of his new home, he promptly put himself to bed (I'm only referring to it as "him" because all he has done so far is eat, drink and sleep ?). He seems well enough this morning, but needed some assistance in finding the food and water dishes again. Other than that, he's been busy basking/sleeping.

View attachment 335765

View attachment 335767

View attachment 335768

View attachment 335769
Oh my goodness is he tiny!! What a sweet little face he’s got too. Thanks for posting pics of him. He is a lucky little guy, having such a great environment to grow up in. What is growing in the larger pot? I’m always looking for new plant ideas for my Hermann’s enclosure.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So cute welcome to the forum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, he's very cute! You can pat down the substrate firmly with the palm of your hand to make it not be so 'crumbly.'

minimoo

Oh my goodness is he tiny!! What a sweet little face he’s got too. Thanks for posting pics of him. He is a lucky little guy, having such a great environment to grow up in. What is growing in the larger pot? I’m always looking for new plant ideas for my Hermann’s enclosure.
@Krista S @ZenHerper The large pot has a rose of sharon in it. It's still transitioning from 'commercial' soil to non-fertilized soil, so blasted a bunch of buds and is looking kind of sad. I am looking to add some plants to the warm side, but just haven't had a second to look at what will do well there, is tortoise-safe and I like aesthetically!

@Yvonne G Thank you - rookie mistake of putting it in the tub BEFORE wetting it down. I tried to pack it more after misting it this morning, but the coir just fluffs up as it dries. I'm thinking that after he goes to bed, I can just tamp more sopping wet coir down and hope it stays moist enough not to fluff?!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
@Krista S @ZenHerper The large pot has a rose of sharon in it. It's still transitioning from 'commercial' soil to non-fertilized soil, so blasted a bunch of buds and is looking kind of sad. I am looking to add some plants to the warm side, but just haven't had a second to look at what will do well there, is tortoise-safe and I like aesthetically!

Spider plant, Pothos, and Hosta all do well in pots and low light. Cuttings root pretty quickly, so friends or online swap sites are often great places to search for them.

Lulabee247

Durham

View attachment 335765

View attachment 335767

View attachment 335768

View attachment 335769
Awwwww he is such a cute tiny dot. ❤️

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
I was looking for an idea for a new enclosure for my redfoot.Yours hit the mark. How big is the tub? Really love the setup and he/she is so cute

minimoo

I was looking for an idea for a new enclosure for my redfoot.Yours hit the mark. How big is the tub? Really love the setup and he/she is so cute
Thank you! It's a 50 gallon stock tank - about 4' long x 2.5' wide x 1' high. They definitely have larger sizes that might be better-suited to a redfoot 'grow out' enclosure?

maureen allenza

5 Year Member

View attachment 335765

View attachment 335767

View attachment 335768

View attachment 335769
What a gorgeous baby! Congratulations to you and him/her! May you have many healthy happy years together!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Congrats on your new tort and welcome to the forum.